Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Cemommster
Out of curiousity, your scheduled day
April 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Do you set a limit for each class on what you need to get done for the day or a time limit?

So do you say we need to get through pages 4-8 in math or we need to do 45 minutes of math?

I was doing the pages for my 8th grader.  Some days he was ok with it , others he said it was too much.  So I decided to do a 45 min time lapse....and he got even less done.  Just wondering what others are doing.  We have taken a break from school, thinking he was overworked.

Replies

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    April 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Tough question.

This is my first year, and my DS is just 5.  (Technically his preschool year - or what I refer to as my "practice year")

I think taking a break is a great idea. Or even allowing the math to be done in a different way.  Depending on his level in school/math you could be able to find some great websites that he could practice on - the one's I've come across really seem to have something for every level.

I think both ways are tough - 45 minutes - if it's a bad attitude day they might just sit there and putz until time is up.  4-8 pages and they might rush through it to be done. 

You could do like the schools do - give him a number of pages AND a time limit - and if he's putzing then he can finish it later when it infringes upon HIS time. (homework).

Good luck - let us all know if you come up with a solution.

• BramblePatch
    April 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    We are done when they complete the work for the day. But mine are young so its usually 1-2 worksheets per subject, along with an reading and boardwork.
  • tiredmomfor2
    April 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM
    Ds's math is broken up into lessons. I write out the number of lessons that he needs to complete per day. Usually 1-2 depending on what he lesson is about. Sometimes a concept will be harder to grasp than I realised, and will let him push it back to the next day.
    A time limit would not work for DS at this stage/age he dawdles way too much. He can take work that would normally befinished in fifteen minutes and stretch it into an hour and a half Lol
  • bluerooffarm
    April 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I set an amount of work they need to accomplish and we work until it is done.  I have a drama king that I found would cry or get off track and then the time was up and I felt we hadn't accomplished anything.  Like today his science work was to hypothesize why a puddle disappears.  He had to answer 3 questions, write up his hypothesis, then put a half cup of water in 2 trays (one in shde and one in sun).  Every half hour he'll look at them and he'll record when each "disappears." For some reason, when I asked him to write his answers he started bawling.  He couldn't explain why and we lost an entire half hour.  I moved on to listening to my middle boy read and went back to oldest when he pulled it together.  If I had been following the time method as I did before we would have only had a half hour to finish the rest of his sciece, we would not have gotten to the actual experiment.

• QueenCreole313
    April 9, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I've recently rearranged my sons's schedule. He's ADHD so timelimits do not work for him. Some days are better than others. I don't schedule a ton of busy work for him. My goal is to make sure he understand and can apply the concepts. If he can, then we move on to the next topic.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    April 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    We do it by lessons. Sometimes I break lessons into two days if they are huge, or assign two small ones in one day.

Sometimes math takes 10 min, sometimes 2 hours. What it tales to get the assignment done.
  • NYCitymomx3
    April 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM

We go more by amount rather than time.  Math is always a half chapter (Saxon 7/6) no matter how long it takes.  He can either dilly-dally and make it take an hour or he can zip through it in 30 minutes.   So one day, for example, would look like this:

Math:   Half a chapter

Spelling:   25 new words with test

Grammar:   1 full chapter

History:   Reading out loud 2-3 sections in book along with narration, mapwork, & timeline.

He has learned not to waste much time so he can get done faster.  He knows I will sit there all day with him until it's all done if I have to.

• Cemommster
    April 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

we also have ADHD 

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I've recently rearranged my sons's schedule. He's ADHD so timelimits do not work for him. Some days are better than others. I don't schedule a ton of busy work for him. My goal is to make sure he understand and can apply the concepts. If he can, then we move on to the next topic.

• Cemommster
    April 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I have tried the homework too.  I think I need to brainstorm with his therapist.  He has ADHD, and big time memorty deficiancy.  Only part of me thinks that as he gets older he uses the memory to his advantage. Not much, but I think its there.

The problem with the homework, is on some days I am after him to just do his dang school work and then I have to get after him later to do his homework too. I feel like I never get away from it.  Like i said, I think I need to talk to his therapist and maybe brainstorm some more ideas.  I am working with him on using a planner, somthing the PS never got through to him.

Quoting JCB911:

Tough question.

This is my first year, and my DS is just 5.  (Technically his preschool year - or what I refer to as my "practice year")

I think taking a break is a great idea. Or even allowing the math to be done in a different way.  Depending on his level in school/math you could be able to find some great websites that he could practice on - the one's I've come across really seem to have something for every level.

I think both ways are tough - 45 minutes - if it's a bad attitude day they might just sit there and putz until time is up.  4-8 pages and they might rush through it to be done. 

You could do like the schools do - give him a number of pages AND a time limit - and if he's putzing then he can finish it later when it infringes upon HIS time. (homework).

Good luck - let us all know if you come up with a solution.

• QueenCreole313
    April 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I write out his assignmnts on an index card. He can pick what order to do it as long as it gets done. He loves knowing what is next. Maybe that will help?

Also, (I don't mean to be rude) but why do you have schoolwork plus homework? Is he not understanding the concepts during the day? 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts