Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
"Our" children vs. "My" children
April 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I saw this video today, and I understand what she was trying to say; However, the video still seemed creepy to me.  What do you ladies think?

http://www.westernjournalism.com/msnbc-host-all-your-kids-belong-to-us/

Replies

• elizabooks
    April 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    was that part of a larger video? it seems incomplete.
    i understand what she could be saying, but the way it was said is sort of creepy.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 9, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting elizabooks:

was that part of a larger video? it seems incomplete.
    i understand what she could be saying, but the way it was said is sort of creepy.

I don't know if it was part of a larger interview. I've been looking for it,  but that was all that was on my fb feed this morning.

• elizabooks
    April 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM
    Ok. i understand that she *may* be saying that everyone, even those without kids, should be involved in the education system, aware of the problems, ready to help out with programs, sponsor school teams, tutor, donate money/time and so on. They need to do this because we are a society and we wantvthe society to be filled with helpful, active, functional, intelligent people that can help our country/culture grow and mature and survive the sands of time.
    what she said was reminiscence of co-op commune living where the child is raised with no set authority figures.
    dude you understand this the same way?
  • bluerooffarm
    April 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Quoting elizabooks:

Ok. i understand that she *may* be saying that everyone, even those without kids, should be involved in the education system, aware of the problems, ready to help out with programs, sponsor school teams, tutor, donate money/time and so on. They need to do this because we are a society and we wantvthe society to be filled with helpful, active, functional, intelligent people that can help our country/culture grow and mature and survive the sands of time.
    what she said was reminiscence of co-op commune living where the child is raised with no set authority figures.

Yes, I understand it that way too.  And I do agree with the part that we all need to pitch in (monetarily, volunteer, etc) to help rear the next generation.  But the implications of child "ownership" really bother me.  Not to mention I try not to put all the "blame" for school failures on the school, the parents do IMO need to take some responsibility for it.  This seems to exonerate the parents in some ways and put the blame on the community at large.

The comments on the pages where I found the clips take a much bigger "tinfoil hat" position than I do, but I still think the video sends a creepy message.

Apparently this is a promo for MSNBC, so that's the entirety of her speech.

• Cemommster
    April 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I was thinking the same thing....she said it soooo wrong. But for the record, I birthed my kids, they are my and dh's. I get that it takes a village, but seriously, WE CHOOSE THAT VILLAGE.  I don't always like the rules of other villages.

A friend pointed somthing out, she is a single mom or was. so she probably wanted help. I don't.

• Cemommster
    April 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

In the commune, you should have the same morals and values as the other members, therefore not worrying as much of the effect they have on your child. I don't agree with most of societies values and norms.  There are parents in my daughter's class that scare me with what they allow their 6 year olds to do.

Quoting elizabooks:

• bekalynne440
    April 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM
    It rubbed me the wrong way. When you take responsibility off individuals (they belong to the community, not the individual) standards drop, people become lazy and when things don't turn out right everyone else is blamed. I understand the whole trying to help with public education thing. At the same time I'm tired of the notion that throwing more money into the broken system will magically fix it, yet so many are strongly against a true system overhaul.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I agree that we should choose our village and then we should support that village.   I always think of my kids as God's, but I would never expect others to think the same way.  So even if I thought of my kids as the community's I wouldn't expect others to hold that value either.

I didnt realize she was a single mom, maybe that does explain it a bit.

Quoting Cemommster:

I was thinking the same thing....she said it soooo wrong. But for the record, I birthed my kids, they are my and dh's. I get that it takes a village, but seriously, WE CHOOSE THAT VILLAGE.  I don't always like the rules of other villages.

A friend pointed somthing out, she is a single mom or was. so she probably wanted help. I don't.

• bluerooffarm
    April 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Quoting bekalynne440:

It rubbed me the wrong way. When you take responsibility off individuals (they belong to the community, not the individual) standards drop, people become lazy and when things don't turn out right everyone else is blamed. I understand the whole trying to help with public education thing. At the same time I'm tired of the notion that throwing more money into the broken system will magically fix it, yet so many are strongly against a true system overhaul.

I absolutely agree!

• debramommyof4
    April 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM

It does take a village to raise a child but I think that children belong to thier family.  Ultimatitly it is the family who is responsible for ensuring safety, well being and education.  If the family fails the community should step up. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN