Homeschooling Moms

TJandKarasMom
DH is on board!!!!!!!
April 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I am so excited!!  DH just asked me WHEN I'm going to start hsing, no more discussion of if or how.  We are going to make it work.  I am so happy!  The only thing is, I have talked his ear off about it and I'm not allowed to talk about it for the rest of the school year now ;)

We are going to start this fall, at that time DS will be 11 and starting 6th grade, and DD will be 10 and starting 5th grade.  This is going to be sooo awesome for all of us!  (Ok, I may be exhausted because I may have to still work AND hs...and DH will hate it if he isn't happy with work...he is ok-not happy, just comfortable- with his current job, but we are looking for something else for him with hopefully better pay so we can work it out without my pay).

My DS is advanced so this is going to be great to challenge and encourage him.  My DD is just on level, but really a bit behind IMO, so this will help her focus and catch up and hopefully excel after a little bit.  She is also having some issues with kids at school, so I'm hoping to help her forge new friendships with other hsers and be able to avoid the bullies, cattiness, and boy crazy-ness that middle school comes with.

My biggest concerns right now-

1)losing the benefits at my work, they are pretty great.  We can get some through DH's work, but losing my income and then paying that much more for benefits makes me nervous.And just the loss of income.  I don't make a lot, but we do count on it right now.  I am hoping to do most of my own lesson planning and using free resources as much as possible.

2)we live with my MIL and she is not going to be happy.  We are trying to buy a house, but this may change our timeline.  Hopefully things can work out BEFORE the fall, but I'm guessing they won't.  The 'good' thing is my school district (I work in public school as a para)  wants to move me to another school so I most likely won't have a position at my school come this fall, good reason to look for a new job ;)  and

3) I just don't know where to start!  I am most nervous about history and science, I just don't know what they should be learning.  I am positive I will find the gaps and fill them in as we go, I am sure things will come up that they want to learn about or that I think we should be teaching them, it's just the what to start with that is making me anxious.

So I will be on here a lot I am sure.  I am hoping since I have an early start for planning that I will be able to figure out lots of free resources and just figure this out in general.  I already know all my state laws and have contacted my state coalition about some custody stuff (luckily that stuff is all fine and we can definitely hs how we want to) and our state is pretty laid back about hsing so it's easy on that side of it.

I'm happy to hear any advice or suggestions :)

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    Congratulations! Homeschooling can be so much cheaper then you think, find out what your kids learning style is that will help with choosing a curriculum & homeschooling style.
  • tiredmomfor2
    April 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    woohoo for your husband agreeing.sometimes that is the biggest hurdle. :) I'm sure everything will fall into place by this fall. Also it is never to early to plan.
    I have learned to just not talk to my husband about it unless it is necessary. Lol he is supportive of homeschooling and has in the past been the deciding vote,and my backbone, when I have wavered...but he doesn't want to be 'involved' in the nuts and bolt of the operation. Lol
    welcome to the group! These ladies are always helpful and supportive.
  • lifesadream83
    April 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

congratulations!  

If you like the idea of the classical mehod you can start them with Ancient History CHOLL has a free curriculum.  You could get the literature from the library.  

When thinking science think Chemistry, Physics, Earth & Space and Life Science,  If dd is behind can I suggest RSO Science.  Yes RSO cost's money  BUT there are a significant amount of lessons available on the try before you buy links.  You could do all of the ones available for free from each of the level 1 programs.  If you don't like that idea you can always get one science program and do it with both of them.  

Really for History and Science you can keep them combined and just get them each their own LA and Math.  

Progressive Compostion Lessons Book 2 is for grades 5 & 6.  

A work around for getting a free math curriculum would be Math In Focus.  If you click the sample now button you can see all of their books. (my free sample period lasted a year)  Courses A B and C are middle school.  I suggest giving them a placement test using Singapore Math's Placement tests  If DS passes the 5b test he would start in A.  Keep in mind that Singapore Math/Math in focus is advanced.  

Free Curriculum:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/index.shtml

http://worldhistoryforusall.sdsu.edu/

Happy Homeschooling!

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Well, I am excited just hearing about your excitement.  Go girl. 

I would suggest contacting  your State Home School Association, and they can likely help you find some experienced home school families near you for support in the subjects you are apprehensive about.  The pioneer home educators were very much alone with many odds  against them, but now there is a lot of support, curriculum created by home educators, conventions, information, team work, co-ops, ext......

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM

thats so great!!!!!!yea!!!!! please some ask all the questions you can think of on here!! we all have lots of answers!! and we wont get tired of talking 'homeschool'!!!hahahaha so happy for ya!!

heres a fun history site  http://www.sfskids.org/templates/musiclab.asp?pageid=4

some science sites  http://www.collierschools.com/weblessons/students_online/5Science.htm

And heres a site tht kinda gives you an idea of whats learned in each grade,

Preschool
    Kindergarten
    Grade Level 1
    Grade Level 2
    Grade Level 3
    Grade Level 4
    Grade Level 5
    Grade Level 6
    Grade Level 7
    Grade Level 8
    Grade level 9
    Grade Level 10