Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Question to previous public school moms
April 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM
How long did it take before you felt comfortable and confident homeshooling? I have come to realize that much of this journey depends on me. I have had to throw away many pre conceived notions as to what education is. I have also become more confident as I have relaxed.

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    April 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We pulled DD almost exactly a year ago. It's really only since Jan/Feb that I've had more times when I feel confident and relaxed about homeschooling. Oh, I still have my uptight moments, but I'm better at recognizing those and letting go.

Yay!

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I felt more confident after my first year. Then, each year I gain more confidence.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    That is why deschooling is so much more important then people realize. It is so much more for the parents then the children, to get rid of preconceived notions of what learning is & what it is supposed to look like.

I think it takes different amounts of time for different people, for me I still have days that I question if I am doing it all right or not but I think that is how we know we are because of that level of concern.
  • MrsImperfect
    April 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    This is our first year and I suck at it. Wont be doing it again.
  • Leissaintexas
    April 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
    I was a good three years into it before I felt really confident in how I was doing. The whole first year I worried that I wasn't doing it right or doing enough.
  • QueenCreole313
    April 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    Why do you say you suck? Don't be so judgemental of yourself. Give yourself time and make mistakes. If not we never learn.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

• Leissaintexas
    April 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Quoting MrsImperfect:

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.
  • MrsImperfect
    April 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM
    I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

oh please don't judge your ability to do this just by how the first year went! Trust me, none of us were good at this the first year. You can't possibly do any worse than the public school lol. I would seriously reconsider giving up. Would you mind sharing with us why you feel you did badly this year? It could be that there is a mom here who did exactly the same and could encourage you.
  • QueenCreole313
    April 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    I would tell them to kiss my ass!
    Sorry. I think with a child with specials needs YOU need to be the person in control because YOU are the expert on your child. My time homeschooling has been so liberating because I am able to teach my child with special needs the way he needs to learn in a safe loving and relaxed environment. Would you be able to try a year of homeschooling vs school at home?

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I do online schooling where im the learning coach. The teacher tokd me this is not home schooling but online schooling. I always thought it was home schooling. The teachers have politely told me to put my kids back in public school cause they would do better there. My oldest son has autism and its difficult to keep on task.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 8, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Exactly!

I say boot the public school and find something that works for your son! You don't suck at this, the curriculum you were using sucked for your son. That's a huge difference!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I would tell them to kiss my ass!
    Sorry. I think with a child with specials needs YOU need to be the person in control because YOU are the expert on your child. My time homeschooling has been so liberating because I am able to teach my child with special needs the way he needs to learn in a safe loving and relaxed environment. Would you be able to try a year of homeschooling vs school at home?

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts