Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
armygirl16
I made a neat chore chart :) (and used my laminator for the first time)
April 8, 2013 at 3:48 AM

I have wanted to make a picture chore chart for my daughter who is 4.8 years old.  I also wanted to make it seem fun for her as well.  My husband bought me a laminator for Christmas and I haven't used it yet.  For some reason I thought it would be a lot more complicated than it is LOL.  I didn't realize it required basically no work to laminate something.  This could be bad though because now I will go through thermal sheets like crazy!!! Anyway I printed off and laminated some coins of different quantities.  For the purpose of her chore chart I just cut out the dimes and quarters.  In one of the cups holds all the coins for the day (the cup on the left).  The other cup is empty.  When she completes a chore she has to pick out the correct coin and put it in the other cup.  At the end of the day (when I get home from work) I will trade out her plastic coins for real ones for her piggy bank.  Also she will need to count her coins and write the amount she is owed on the other laminated sheet on the right.  

This is my setup :)

Replies

• OFIH
    by OFIH
    April 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    Way to also teach math! We use a chore chart on the iPad that we really like. Not sure what we ever did before chore charts. Hehe
  • hipmomto3
    April 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    My children fight over chores so I have to make alternating chore charts. Its exhausting. :)
  • debramommyof4
    April 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    Looks like a fun way to learn money.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM

wow armygirl very good idea! and that looks like its gona be a lot of fun for her! great hands on learning and getting chores done!

• KrissyKC
    April 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have ADD (or something) that really affects my ability to organize and complete tasks.   My kids seem to be the same, and having to make tallies or put stickers on a chart.. they just cannot keep up with it.   They often would do the chores, but then at allowance time... we realized that they should have like 20 or more stickers or tallies... and they would have three because they just never recorded the chore being finished.   We tried putting the chart in the hallway, on the fridge, next to the door.. etc.. didn't matter where it was...

So we gave up on charts and decided that a good routine of having certain chores after each meal works best.   Then, they just get allowance for being part of this family and enjoying the benefits of that tiny bit of excess from Dad's paycheck.   On the flip side, if we have an emergency or are seriously low on funds that week and don't have spending money... we tell them honestly that there is no spending money this week because of such and such.  So they don't get allowance that week. 

This has been rare, but there was one week where most of us got strep throat (five co-pays and five prescriptions!!!) At the same time, there had been another "emergency" on top of the kids' camp money due that week.   So no, they didn't get allowance that week.  There WAS no extra money as a family, so they didn't get it... Their Dad and I had to pinch EVER penny to make it through.   They are always really understanding and will often offer to buy us something with the money they have on hand... what good kids!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Cool!

• TJandKarasMom
    April 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM

That's awesome!

I was teaching money today at work (I work in ps still...this will most likely be my last year) to kindergarteners, and most of them can't get it because there is no consistency (dumb 'spiral' program...and lack of follow through at home as well).  And these are mostly 6 yos.  That's awesome that your 4 yo can differentiate the coins and knows what they are worth.  And adding it up!  Way to go mom!

• twyliatepeka
    April 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    Cute! I need to make a chore chart for grace and this a cute idea.
  • JayDee38
    April 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I love that! Looks excellent, good work with the laminator! I recently bought the Cricut http://www.cricut.com and it's been such a fun 'toy' for me. But it would be really fun if I could laminate my cricut creations..

:)

• kayleeab
    April 15, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Really great idea

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts