Homeschooling Moms

aneela
Field trips!!!
by aneela
April 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

So now that the weather is getting warmer....

What are some of the fun outdoor field trips do you all have planned for your kids over the next few months?

Pls include maybe grade level and if you have done that "field trip" before and what subjects are covered by the information and experiences on the trip.

Thanks ladies!

Replies

• klatshaw
    April 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

We are using our family camping trip as a field trip. SCIENCE- my son will identify trees and plants, PHYS ED- he will walk/hike/bike/swim, LIFE SKILLS- this year he is in charge of making the fire and cooking at least 1 meal, GEOGRAPHY- he will draw a map of the campground. Additionally he will be fishing with his dad. He is 13.

• myownparadise
    April 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    That is awesome! I never really thought about camping trips in that way.

Quoting klatshaw:

We are using our family camping trip as a field trip. SCIENCE- my son will identify trees and plants, PHYS ED- he will walk/hike/bike/swim, LIFE SKILLS- this year he is in charge of making the fire and cooking at least 1 meal, GEOGRAPHY- he will draw a map of the campground. Additionally he will be fishing with his dad. He is 13.

• myownparadise
    April 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    I am going to take my girls back to the zoo. They love it, and can learn about the different animals. They are 3 and almost 5. In Georgia, you don't start official homeschooling until the school year after the child turns 6. Makynzie will be 5 in a couple of weeks, so the school year coming up in August we still don't have to be official.
  • aneela
    by aneela
    April 7, 2013 at 3:25 PM

love this...i think we need to do something similar for my family

Quoting klatshaw:

• armygirl16
    April 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    That is a great idea! We will be going camping next month (end of next month). I'll have to use some of those ideas and look into more for kindergarten age :)

Quoting klatshaw:

• bluerooffarm
    April 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM

We'll go to an Earth Day thing at a local college in 2 weekends.  In May we plan on going to the Zoo this year (went to an aquarium last year).  In June we're going to go to a local farm for their strawberry festival.

My boys are 4, 6, and almost 8.

• tiredmomfor2
    April 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    We went on a field trip last night but it wasn't out doors. It was the local high schools play weekend. They were doing the school version of 'Grease'. I took my oldest two. Ages 5 and 7. they enjoyed it for the most part. it got very hot in the cafetorium.
  • aneela
    by aneela
    April 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

sounds like so much fun AND educational...love it

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We'll go to an Earth Day thing at a local college in 2 weekends.  In May we plan on going to the Zoo this year (went to an aquarium last year).  In June we're going to go to a local farm for their strawberry festival.

My boys are 4, 6, and almost 8.

• BramblePatch
    April 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    May:
    Boise Zoo
    Memorial Day Ceremony
    Opening Day of Fishing and Fishing Derby at Penny Lake
    Rodeo :-)

June:
    Camping
    Bowe Bergdahl Event
    Day Hike to Waterfalls
    Trip to Hagerman Fossil Beds

July
    Camping x2
    Wildflower Hike
    Hike to Titus Lake
    Trip to Ice Caves

August
    Camping
    Blaine County Fair
    Float Trip
    Trail Ride

September:
    Wagon Days
    Antique Car Show and Auction
    YELLOWSTONE!!!!!!!

Plus weekly Farmers Markets, at least three Antique Fairs, and near daily fishing. Also Summer Symphony, trips to the Botanical Garden, and Ice Shows, and soaks in the hot springs.
  • charla_r
    April 7, 2013 at 5:03 PM
    Since we may be leaving the DC area soon if my husband is selected for a job in CO, we plan to take many field trips in the next few months including a local farm, Smithsonian museums, zoo and aquarium. We will also go on at least one camping trip as well.

Homeschooling Moms