Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
ballerina.2006
Charlotte Mason and social studies curr ?'s
April 7, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Can anyone give me a review(s) on any subject they've used with Charlotte Mason. I'm not as worried about the language arts as I love what we're doing, but if that's all you've used then I'd still love to hear your thoughts!

I'm in desperate need of a social studies curriculum. The "wing it" method isn't working. I love having a teacher's guide and pre made lessons. We have McRuffy for L.A. and Math-U-See for math. These programs work great for both of us. I can go as fast or slow as dd needs but then I also get the much needed structure that I need to teach her to the best of my abilities. Social studies rarely happens because I have no idea what to really teach her. Yes I have state guidelines as to what she "should know" but that doesn't help and pinterest and google get overwhelming after awhile of searching. So any suggestions on a nicely structured curriculum for social studies (and science) would be very helpful!

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row to attend a curriculum fair in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can go with some knowledge of what I'd like to look at and questions for vendors :)

ETA: DD is 7 and this fall she'll be 1st/2nd grade level

Replies

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

We used Heart of Dakota (www.heartofdakota.com), which follows many of CM principles.It is Christian.

Another one is livingbookscurriculum.com.

simplycharlottemason.com is another one.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

you could try abeka history, or this looks neat http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanpdf.html

some fun unit studies here http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I can only help with a bump!

• ballerina.2006
    April 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Thank you! I'll look into these tonight when the kids are in bed :)

Quoting lucsch:

We used Heart of Dakota (www.heartofdakota.com), which follows many of CM principles.It is Christian.

Another one is livingbookscurriculum.com.

simplycharlottemason.com is another one.

• ballerina.2006
    April 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thank you! I'll look into these tonight :)

Quoting oredeb:

you could try abeka history, or this looks neat http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/history/americanpdf.html

some fun unit studies here http://www.homeschoolshare.com/

• CatFishMom
    April 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Trail Guide for Learning, or Geomatters, (same company, different branches? I dont know but they should both get you there) is a unit study-style history/social studies type curriculum that covers (I THINK, if I remember my research correctly) every subject but math and it uses Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick's philosophies of teaching. It looks excellent and Im going to be looking into it at the homeschool convention Im going to at the end of next month. Im really hoping it isnt too religious-based because we're secular homeschoolers and I really want to use this program!

• CJsMommy040506
    April 9, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I'm having a hard time finding history too. We'll be homeschooling next year, using Math U See and McRuffy also. As of right now I'm thinking of using Elemental History, it's American history. I want to start with classical/ancients the next year but American history the first. I've checked out that GuestHollow site and it looks great too. Elemental History doesn't appear to cover a few topics (War of 1812, WW2 among them) so I figured we'd use GuestHollow.com for that. My Fathers World looks awesome bit I can't afford it. I'd love the teacher's manual but it's $99, so far I haven't found it used on EBay.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN