Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Why do you homeschool? Personal, political or both.
April 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM

So, I'm curious the reasons why everyone homeschools. Myself, it started as a purly personal choice, but I'm noticing how much there is a homeschool movement going on. So, why do you homeschool? Person reasons, political reasons or a mixture of the two?

Why do you homeschool?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 58% - Personal reasons
  2. 0% - Political movement
  3. 41% - Combination

Replies

• armygirl16
    April 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I had never considered sending my daughter to public school..Even when I was pregnant with her.  It is personal, religious and I'm not sure about political but I can agree with pretty much any reason to homeschool.  :)

• somuchlove4U
    April 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Personal reasons.
  • mamamedic69
    April 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    Personal reasons. I knew we were going to homeschool from the beginning. I had my first child in ps and we fought with the school over everything and my son ended up dropping out and getting his GED. I will not go through that again.
  • debramommyof4
    April 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

The public school system is not equipt to handle my 7 year old.  She learns differently from most kids and picks up things extremely fast.  The best thing I can do for her is homeschool. 

My 6 year old has changed her mind yet again and wants to do CAVA again next year.  We will if thats what she wants.  But she is advanced also so it is really hard to place her, if she wants to go back to public school it is her choice.

My 4 year old I dont know what I will decide with him.  He is not as far along as the girls were at his age but I do not know if he would do better in a school enviroment or at home. We will see when he stops pooping his pants what we decide.

My 3 year old (this month) is just like her older sisters were so I am betting she will end up homeschooled.

If they lowered class sizes and seperated by ability then I would probably not worry about them as much in public school classrooms.  But my 7 year old would still probably be home with me.  She is more focused when it is just her or she can get away from others.

• OFIH
    by OFIH
    April 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM

We started homeschooling for religious reasons. It's still our number 1 reason for homeschooling. If all our other reasons weren't a concern we would still homeschool because of our faith.

Then we discovered our older son had special needs and that gave us reason #2.

Then my husband took one shift a week in the public school system and that solidified any thought that we would ever, ever, ever put them in public school.

• BluntlyBlue
    April 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Personal reasons. My oldest ones went through the school system with little to no issues, and I have no problems with public schools in general or the school curriculum here (well, except their abstinence only policy for sex ed, but that's a whole 'nother topic).

I'm homeschooling this time around because J is autistic and I despise the idea of "mainstreaming" him. He needs to learn at his own pace, in his own style, without a bunch of useless ideas and regulations that will only exacerbate his anxiety issues. The school system can't give him what he needs right now, so I will.

I have to admit there is a safety issue as well. Every time I turn around there's yet another case of an autistic child being abused by a school worker. J's not at a place yet where I know he could tell me if someone was hurting him.

The plan as it stands now is homeschool until I think he's ready for public or charter school.

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    April 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Both, I feel as though my husband and I care more for our children's future and education then a group of people who sit at desks and see our kids as numbers and money. I also believe my husband and I can provide a more one on one educational experience that they would never get in a classroom. The list is actually long and stems from our own personal experience with public school. 

• Rust.n.Gears
    April 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    We started because someone tried to kill my daughter. The school called it bullying. I called it a hand gun. I am just trying to keep the kids alive. We noticed improvements in grades, better curriculum, and enjoyed teaching the kids our faith better.
  • NYCitymomx3
    April 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Personal.  I can do a better job.  Period.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    Both

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!