Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MammaG08
Do you belong to a co-op?
April 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I found a really great co-op for next year, but my hubby is dead against it. Not just this co-op, but he is really dragging his feet on the whole homeschooling topic, so this is where he can say no. Anyway, I was wondering how many of you belong to a co-op? Also, I would be so encouraged if I could hear some stories of hubbies who were anti-homeschool, then turned out to be supportive and encouraging. Thanks so much!
Do you belong to a co-op?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 23% - Yes
  2. 76% - No

Replies

• OFIH
    by OFIH
    April 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

No. But, only because our co-op shut down mid-year last year due to the director moving out of state. I wish we had one, the kids really liked it. But no one has stepped up to start a new one. And no, before someone asks, I cannot do it. My kids require far too much time for me to dedicate it to a co-op leadership position (special needs).

Since your husband is so against it, I would first have him tell you all the reasons he is. If there are some that honestly you hadn't thought of, then work on those. Otherwise, I know a few Moms who had husbands that were against it and they asked for one year to prove they could do it. If, after that year, the child was behind, not doing well, or failing, they would put the child into a mutually agreed upon education environment. I have yet to see one Dad ask for their kids to be put back into school.

• sha_lyn68
    April 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Currently no, but in the past we've been a part of 3 different co-ops and I guess you could have even said our old girl scout troop operated basically as very small a homeschool co-op.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

All of the co-ops here meet at times that are inconvenient to our lifestyle.

My hubby was agings homeschooling at first, but after I showed him some information & pointed out that we couldn't do any worse a job then the school, he agreed to try & now 7 years we are unschooling & he can see all the learning our kids do everyday.

• mrs.miller89
    April 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

No, but DD is only 2 1/2. My DH is all for HS too, so no help there either, sorry. =(

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Yes, I belong to two. Next year I will belong to 3 weekly co-ops. One of them I run. I am currently teaching a class called geography through art. It is so much fun. Co-ops are all run differently. We are very laid back but co-ops really work for us. My sons love them and pick all the classes they are taking. My oldest is taking science, art, PE, and computer science. My youngest is taking Chess, PE, art, and science. Their co-op classes are just ways for them to get extra enjoyment out of things they love doing. I also enjoy them getting the benefit of trying different teaching styles. They also are able to practice public speaking and they love it. I am not sure what to tell you about your husband. I would just talk to him and explain why homeschooling is important and why you feel strongly about it. Homeschooling has helped my sons in so many ways. They have had so many more experiences than i ever had.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    April 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    Nope
  • ablessedlife
    April 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    My husband was VERY skeptical. The only reason he even allowed it at all is because I have a degree in education. The way that I eventually convinced him is by constantly comparing my children academically with ps children. I know, not a recommended thing to do if you want your children learning at their own pace, but it was what I had to do to win him over ( we even administer standardized tests at the end of each year). We also went to several graduations of nieces and nephews where we noticed they the kids getting the high achievements (awards and scholarships) are all girls (we have all boys). Every time that happened we crossed that school off our list. I work very hard to make our school competitive with the best (private) schools in our area. My husband is now convinced and is very supportive. He has even begun to help out by doing things like mental math and spelling with the boys.

Our family started a "coop" at our home this year. It is based on Classical Conversations. We do science, art, and tons of memorization in 6 subjects. We sing the national anthem, pray together and have "recess." We do this every Monday morning. The benefits of this, besides the obvious academic enrichment, are: learning to cooperate, listen to instructions, wait your turn, things like that. Our kids are used to having more freedom, so I find it very valuable for them to obey another adult and cooperate with other children. Also, the idea that other children are doing what we are doing is a strength. The other kids produce artwork with us and we have opportunities to praise them and encourage them. And some things are just better done in a group. We sing history songs, for example, or chant facts in Math or Science. There is a force in such a setting. We are also making wonderful memories!
  • motheroffour186
    April 6, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    No
  • Walnutgrovefarm
    April 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM

We have done a co-op in the past and it was very well organized. It was too demanding for our life style. My ds has a lot of social time with all ages of kids and people. On the husband topic? It has been a cooperative effort for us. He's been onboard since the sentence I suggested it. We have two older kids that went through the ps system who did fine, but they are the ones encouraging us to continue homeschooling their younger sibling. They also help when needed. Works out great!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM

yes i belong to a coop, i teach a few classes at it, kids love it, dh loves it!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts