Homeschooling Moms

rsrangel
how often do they play with other kids
April 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM
This isn't a concern over socialization. I'm not the least bit concerned with all the socialization myths! Just curious....how often does your child hang out with other children besides siblings?

Replies

• CrimsonRadiance
    April 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

6 out of 7 days at Taekwondo

Once a week at the park with our homeschool group

Once a week at different locations with our homeschool group (Chuck E Cheese, Health Works, the mall play place, other people's houses, bowling.. things like that)

My boys also play with the neighborhood kids when they get home from school and weekends. :) 

• bluerooffarm
    April 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Not very often. Once per month we have a Co-op meeting, they go to Sunday School and Junior Church on Sundays.  We play at the playground a lot during the summer, visit museums and state parks.  We have VBS and church camp eac summer as well.  Oh yeah and soccer for a few months each fall.  Mine are pretty young, as they get older they'll be involved in more.

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM
    Not counting church, a few times a week.
  • mamamedic69
    April 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
    Church group on Sundays and one day a week with homeschool group. I do take her to the parks and stuff.
  • hipmomto3
    April 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Church on Sundays, co-op classes on Mondays, art class on Tuesdays, and they play with 2 kids in the neighborhood at least once or twice a week. So 4-5 days a week.

• armygirl16
    April 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    Church on Sundays, gymnastics on Saturday. If its not raining we will go to the park. The children's museum....not a TON in the winter/spring but she is 4 1/2 now. Once she turns 5 she will also have Girl Scouts, AWANAS in the fall, co-ops, summer camp, etc..
  • KrissyKC
    April 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Church 2-3 times per week.  We have a biig church.   At homeschool group they just attend choir weekly right now.  Each elementary or older kid is in one sport, and if not involved, it's usually at a park or they play with other siblings of the other players... usually at least 1-3 times weekly during the sport's season.

But as for free play?   We hit the park 1-2 times a week, swimming at the local community center usually about 1 a week... and then they have neighbor kids they see.  Sometimes they play with them A LOT.. and other times they won't see them for a few weeks.   Plus, we have one family we travel an hour to go visit... they have kids that are best friends with my two middles.   We see them on average 2 times per month..

It's hard to say...  when the weather is nice.. I'd say they "hang out" or play with other kids a minimum of 4-5 times weekly.   Sometimes a ton more.

That doesn't even include field trips, special events, JBQ meets one saturday a month in another town, etc...

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM

At least once a week even if it is just some kids we don't know at the park.

• Pukalani79
    April 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM

They're all involved in different things, so it depends...

DS: Every day but Tuesday, Thursday he sees his friends either at church or the homeschool center.  Often on Saturday he has a friend come over.  He's wanting to start rock-climbing so that will be Tuesdays I think.

DD1: Every day she sees friends either at church, the homeschool center or the dance studio.

DD2: When she's feeling well, every day but Saturday she sees friends either at church, the homeschool center, dance or art.  Sometimes on Saturday she'll come to the studio and play with a friend while her sister dances.

• KickButtMama
    April 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

W.l my kids mostly hang with eachother since we only have 1 car and I'm too disabled to walk to the library or anything. But we do go to co-op 1x/week where they have friends. But for 'play days' only like once/month.

Homeschooling Moms