Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Sebastian662
Should we protect ourselves with HSLDA.org
April 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Hello Everyone,

I went to my first Co-Op yesterday. It looks like it could be a good match. I still have several appointments throughout the month for more CO-OP and umbrellas which in my state of Tenn is mandatory for homeschool.

In my search for the Umbrella school there was a suggestion made that I should join the Homeschool Legal defense Association.

Is anyone else familiar with this site. Any information is greatly appreciated.

I am married however I feel that I have made this journey on my own. When I ask him for encouragement his reply is you are the only one that can do this.

Your thoughts on the comment.

It's like being a single mother without the stress of the overhead it takes to pay the mortgage but I am ready to embark on my own career is there any mother out there that have accomplished this and if so any advice would be great.

Replies

• OFIH
    by OFIH
    April 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    I have read up a lot on HSDLA. It very much has it's place. I don't belong to the group, but to another group that's a bit smaller but does the same thing. As for the comment, I have no clue. What context was it said in? Tone? My husband says similar things and he means that public school teachers and such couldn't do what I have done for our children.
  • tuffymama
    April 5, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    I understand what you're going through with your husband. Mine was like that at first, and I had to drill it into his head that his attitude was not only repugnant to me, but counterproductive to my efforts to educate our son. I finally had to get HIS dad on board, and he made DH see the light, I think. DH just didn't understand that lending support means more than paying the bills. He was "all for it" when he thought he could stay out of the messy parts, but he realizes now that his roles as husband of a homeschooling mother and as father of a homeschooling child, encompass more than paying bills and leaving the responsibility of home and school up to me. He actually has to invest some thought into how he wants our son educated and how he wants him to turn out at the end of it. DH also has to LISTEN to me when I need a sounding board or advice, and not just smile and nod. He helped make this kid and had fun doing it, so he can do what it takes to raise him. Besides, if we turned our child over to the PS system to raise, there would be an entirely different set of chores for DH.

As far as HSLDA goes, we aren't members. If I lived in a less homeschool friendly state than Florida, I would be more inclined to plonk down the cash to join.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    April 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    I wouldn't join HSLDA until I had an issue, honestly.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    April 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    My hubby is basically supportive but works too much to help.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 5, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I don't belong to them either.  I also have a hubby that is supportive, but basically says he is fighting the culture with his job and it is up to me to fight the culture as far as the homeschooling is concerned.  (He puts up solar panels for a living, so it's construction and he's basically gone all daylight hours Mon-Saturday)

• Leissaintexas
    April 5, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I know HSLDA does good work, and I know that some parents truly need their services. But I personally have never felt the need to join. I live in a pretty free state and even if I didn't, I don't fear the "knock at the door" nor do I feel like I need legal backup. I do support their work in the Parental Rights fight, however.

I've been hsing for 6 yrs now, and when we first started, I was completely on my own, no help from dh. However, I never had any expectations that he would be involved. That's just the way we do things. we are very traditional and have traditional roles in the home. I raise the kids and care for the home, he goes to work to pay for it all. He was never one to change a diaper or bathe or feed a kid, that was always my job. So I saw nothing out of the ordinary when I got that attitude from him about their education. That is entirely my sphere. But I was surprised last year when he willingly went with me to a hs Book Fair last year and helped me pick curriculum. Give him time. When he sees how much fun you're having, he'll start showing some interest.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM

hi sebastinan, and welcome! glad your starting on your homeschooling journey! your dh probably just doenst realise it will take him also to help homeschoool the kids, maybe once you get going and start asking him for ideas, etc he'll realise he can be part of it!

as for hsld in my 30 years of homeschooling ive never had to use them or ive never joined them either so it will be something you and dh can decide, i do hear that new hsers will join for the first year just to be on the safe side and get use to homeschooling idea and then drop them the next year. so whatever will make you feel more comfortable starting your journey do!!!

• sha_lyn68
    April 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I wouldn't touch HSLDA with a 10 ft pole. They have a history of pushing for legislation that actually restricts homeschooling for any reason other than religious. They also have a history of flat out lying,such as representing themselves as a governing body of all US homeschoolers to the Coast Guard. They are also well known for refusing to represent long time members who do not fit their ideal homeschooling family. They also refuse to help long time members if the homeschooling issue has to do with a disagreement between parents such as during a divorce or custody dispute.

HSLDA:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/102299.htm 

http://hsislegal.com/

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/172/ma_clmn_tch.html

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/164/ja_clmn_tch.html

http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/185/sotch.html

• KickButtMama
    April 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM

To me it's a waste of $$, IMO. Plus I can't stand their "The sky is falling" mentality. It's very one sided -religiously & politically.

Also, I think it's fine - your DH's response. At least he's not trying to stop you. And he might come around. At first my DH thought HS was weird and would just roll his eyes. But now he brags about it to everyone.

• Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    April 5, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    If I lived in a state where the school district was controlling. I think it would be a good idea. If you can afford your own legal counsel then no. However I live in Texas so the school district has no jurisdiction.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN