Homeschooling Moms

gacgbaker
Foreign Language?
April 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Do you teach a foreign language to your kids?  What do you teach and do you have any curriculum that you use and love?

I have some Learn Spanish CD's that my husband purchased years ago that I figured I would use, but I haven't gotten around to go through them enough myself to see how to use them.  I was talking to another mom who said her kids do Latin and I thought that sounded like a good idea since that is the base for many other languages.  I also have thought about sign language since I have some books on that and have taken classes myself (not enough to be fluent, just a general idea of it).  

I'd love to hear how you are approaching a forgein language wth your kids!

Replies

• LostInLove2002
    April 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Ahh. Okay. Thanks gals. :)

• M.G.273
    by M.G.273
    April 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Go to this foreign language teaching forum to get great ideas from actual teachers teaching a language. They discuss curriculum ideas & lesson ideas. You can ask any question & many will respond to you-it's golden!

• M.G.273
    by M.G.273
    April 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Oops-foreign language forum link:

http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=flteach

• TroyboysMom
    April 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM

We teach/use ASL and French here. 

I speak French, and used it in a professional capacity for several years. I find it very beautiful, and it reminds me of my grandfather.

We also use ASL - we are very pro-Deaf culture here (and live near a Deaf community), and have Deaf (versus deaf) family members, so it behooves us to know the language. I primarily teach, and we augment with Signing Time, ASL University, and some other resources I have (ASL poetry, fairy tales, etc. on DVD.).  

We are also considering adding Japanese to the menu, but I will outsource for that. 

• AutymsMommy
    April 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Italian via Little Pim for my middle son and via DuoLingo for my eldest - also via "natural immersion" when we visit my husband's family, lol.

We'll do Latin with my middle son around grade 2 or 3 through high school. We tried it with my eldest but her dyslexia made that too difficult and only frustrated her.

Homeschooling Moms