Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
gacgbaker
Foreign Language?
April 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Do you teach a foreign language to your kids?  What do you teach and do you have any curriculum that you use and love?

I have some Learn Spanish CD's that my husband purchased years ago that I figured I would use, but I haven't gotten around to go through them enough myself to see how to use them.  I was talking to another mom who said her kids do Latin and I thought that sounded like a good idea since that is the base for many other languages.  I also have thought about sign language since I have some books on that and have taken classes myself (not enough to be fluent, just a general idea of it).  

I'd love to hear how you are approaching a forgein language wth your kids!

Replies

• LostInLove2002
    April 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Ahh. Okay. Thanks gals. :)

• M.G.273
    by M.G.273
    April 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Go to this foreign language teaching forum to get great ideas from actual teachers teaching a language. They discuss curriculum ideas & lesson ideas. You can ask any question & many will respond to you-it's golden!

• M.G.273
    by M.G.273
    April 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Oops-foreign language forum link:

http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=flteach

• TroyboysMom
    April 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM

We teach/use ASL and French here. 

I speak French, and used it in a professional capacity for several years. I find it very beautiful, and it reminds me of my grandfather.

We also use ASL - we are very pro-Deaf culture here (and live near a Deaf community), and have Deaf (versus deaf) family members, so it behooves us to know the language. I primarily teach, and we augment with Signing Time, ASL University, and some other resources I have (ASL poetry, fairy tales, etc. on DVD.).  

We are also considering adding Japanese to the menu, but I will outsource for that. 

• AutymsMommy
    April 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Italian via Little Pim for my middle son and via DuoLingo for my eldest - also via "natural immersion" when we visit my husband's family, lol.

We'll do Latin with my middle son around grade 2 or 3 through high school. We tried it with my eldest but her dyslexia made that too difficult and only frustrated her.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN