Homeschooling Moms

mamamedic69
Teachers Unions plans for homeschool families.
April 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM

http://www.examiner.com/article/teachers-unions-plan-to-crush-parent-led-schooling

I saw this article posted elsewhere. Just thought I would share.

I can't make it clicky even tho I tried to follow the directions. I am not even getting the hyperlink to highlight. Sorry

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    June 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM

i read that also sha, and not to long ago

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Reminds me of a statement issued by a union for school administrators many yrs ago. They said that since they couldn't argue with the studies that proof that homeschooling provides well rounded education and socialization, that it was their responsibility to ensure that all children ate a nutritious lunch. Therefore they recommended that stated outlaw homeschooling due to federal laws that require public schools to provide nutritious lunches.

• celticdragon77
    June 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Is the Examiner a legit news source?

The Examiner has learned that the head of a parent-led schooling organization told attorney and talk radio host Hugh Hewitt Tuesday that powerful teachers unions, particularly the National Education Association and state-based unions in Democratic states, plan to crush parent-led schooling by cracking down on "accountability" and "intolerance," and passing a plethora of rules and regulations that would render such schooling practically powerless.

The "parent led source" was the HSLDA. EVERY single time I hear about the HSLDA, it is ALWAYS related to a scare tactic. 

powerful teachers unions, particularly the National Education Association and state-based unions in Democratic states, plan to crush parent-led schooling by cracking down on "accountability" and "intolerance," and passing a plethora of rules and regulations that would render such schooling practically powerless.

I live in a northern Democratic state (Pennsylvania) - that is also one of the most heavily regulated homeschooling states. THOSE LAWS PROTECT ME!!! My public school did not want me to homeschool when I took my children out of their public school system last week. They tried to make up reasons why I could not homeschool and why they would not help. However, because our state has so many laws and because I know them inside and out. I not only corrected them based on the state laws, informing that indeed I had the right to homeschool, but I also let them know that they HAD to help me based on the state laws.

I do not know how to make this point across, but, you are UNDER protected without some sort of laws in place to protect you. I will NEVER understand why people who are so fearful of their own people, stay here in this country. It seems foolish on their part.

But anyways, also, the laws protect the children. Every child deserves an education! The public school is a HUGE machine that is leaving a lot of kids behind - so I DO wish they would make better safeguards for themselves (though they do "try" - even if it does sometimes resemble a Lucille Ball sort of comedy).

Approximately 3-5 percent of all school age students are homeschooled in America today. Projections estimate that based upon the explosive growth of homeschooling, the number of homeschooled students could skyrocket to 15 percent of all children within 10 years.

Frightened by such prospects, powerful teachers unions in the various states plan to do all that is necessary to squelch the homeschool movement.

The HSLDA and I have different definitions of the word "skyrocket". To me, it is going far, quickly and suddenly. Going from 3-5 percent to 15 percent over the course of 10yrs (and this only being a projection of what COULD happen), is not "skyrocketing" to me. Also, 15% of people STILL paying taxes, but NOT utilizing a system, is financially beneficial, isn't it? Homeschooling has been around for over 20 years, the country has moved more favorably towards homeschooling - and yet is still only 3-5% that do it. But beyond that, schools have INCREASING issues and budget cuts from all over, why would they waste their time and money on battling homeschoolers?

The states that are heavily Democratic, such as California, Massachusetts, New York, and others are havens for teachers unions. The unions are heavily involved in politics and provide large sums of campaign cash to Democratic candidates who are then obligated to do the unions' bidding. And part of the unions' bidding is to propose and pass laws that restrict the freedom of parent-led schooling so that the power of the public school system can be enhanced.

Well, aren't they the fools if they chase homeschoolers with that "so called" money instead of fixing their own broken system that always seems in desperate need for money.   

California in particular has seized upon an effective tactic by which to attack homeschoolers. Parents who homeschool are portrayed as intolerant, racist, homophobic, and Islamophobic.

I would like to see a source for this "journalism" nugget here. I agree that a lot of homeschoolers can seem intolerant tho. Which is ironic since most are religious and Jesus is their role model - And they wonder why they are losing church members by the droves. There is a lot of hypocrisy there - and it is very difficult to swallow (and by the way, I AM religious, and NOT a democrat).

The reason that extremist leftwing politicians and their propaganda arm, the public schools, view the homeschooling movement as vulnerable to such charges is that parents have the freedom in a homeschool environment to affirm their religious faith, acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Savior, and instill traditional values that stem from our nation's rich Judeo-Christian heritage.

Propagandists in the public schools view such things as intolerant of other faiths and other cultures. The teachers unions want any talk of Jesus removed from the classroom except to mention in passing that he was viewed as "a great teacher."

However, the core of the propagandists' argument is itself heavily steeped in intolerance -- the intolerance of Christians, the disdain of the nation's Judeo-Christian heritage, and the undermining of uniquely American values in lieu of promoting a globalist, multicultural mindset that holds that no one culture is any better than another.

Such balderdash, of course, actually embraces the notion that a culture which beheads opponents to its religion and political structure, rapes women with impunity and stones them to death for adopting western customs, carries out the death penalty on homosexuals, and uses children as sex slaves, is just as good as the American culture based upon Judeo-Christian values.

OOoohh the religion card in full play here. What is the best way to get a huge population of people to jump on your bandwagon... play the religion card. Politicians know and use it - and so does the HSLDA. 

Too many good people are being conned by this smoke and mirrors act. 

Stop testing everything by "religious men" and test it by your bible.

It went from education to a religion story real quick. 

Why would they (the schools) WANT you in their schools if that first paragraph is true? You would be the red headed step child that no one wanted and would cause problems for them. Currently, they get to take your tax dollars - gave you some laws to allow you stay home, and it keeps your hands out of their cookie jar. 

Now... I DO think that the public schools have an agenda. They have made it clear from the beginning. They DO want to get people to think along the same lines. I do not know how to best word this, but they DO want people to be more tolerant of each other. They are trying to do MORE than JUST educate academics.

In my opinion, they are trying to take on other hats - such as (but not limited to) social causes. Whether it be dealing with kids using drugs, teens getting pregnant, bullying, child abuse, discrimination, etc.

Is that right or wrong?

This country has so many cultures, beliefs, traditions... and it seems like sometimes we try to erase the differences rather than appreciating and tolerating them. 

There will be kids that get caught up in life's webs - as we all will eventually at one point or another. It seems like a good idea to have various sources to go to for guidance, various voices to be heard for direction... but maybe that isn't always the best way. We can not always be parenting our neighbors child. Its controlling and rude at times - and we begin to neglect our own responsibility's when we do so without limits.

THAT LAST PARAGRAPH... SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT TO ME!!! When, where... I have NO CLUE what they are talking about. I was NOT taught that, nor were my children!!!

AND, we DO have to have tolerance. JESUS HIMSELF TAUGHT THAT!!! His main lesson was about LOVE!!! It is absolutely aggravating that so many Christians get hung up on so many things when JESUS = LOVE!!! Your religion = LOVE!!! What did Mother Teresa say?

The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love.

It is not how much you do, but how much Love you put into the doing that matters. 

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.

Spread love everywhere you go: first of all in your own home. Give love to your children, to a wife or husband, to a next-door neighbor.

Love is a fruit in season at all times, and within the reach of every hand.

Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.

Intense love does not measure, it just gives.

What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.

If you think well of others, you will also speak well of others and to others. From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. If your heart is full of love, you will speak of love.

THERE ARE TONS MORE BY HER!!! She understood the message Jesus was trying to say better than anyone. It came out once that Mother Teresa was weak in faith (so she thought) - but it was really that she was SO close to her father that I believe that she deeply felt the distance apart by being on Earth and not in heaven with him. She found him through LOVE.

To be close to God is to depart from anything that teaches AGAINST anything but LOVE. Even Jesus did that. He did it when it didn't make sense to anyone, but to him. In retrospect, we see WHY he chose to do so. He see why he didn't associate with those they perceived that he should, and instead hung those that they perceived that he shouldn't.  

Never-mind that homeschooled children outperform public school children on standardized tests and succeed in college to a higher degree than those "educated" in the public schools. Never-mind that homeschooled children do not exhibit the signs of the lack of socialization as the paragons of public education have warned for years. And never-mind that homeschooled children receive a more well-rounded education due to the fact that they actually study issues that are withheld from public school students in the interest of making sure they are properly indoctrinated in the virtues of the big government nanny state and the entitlement mentality, and are thus woefully ignorant of the basic truths of the founding of this nation and the men and women who founded it.

I am nearing the end of the article.. and I did not find any supporting information. I can see the path of this article and its intent. Which is why it is ending the article with this (above) paragraph.

Reality check. Yes, MANY homeschoolers produce better than average academically minded citizens. NOT ALL OF THEM! There are laws in place to protect THOSE children. The laws also protect the parents, so that everyone knows the exact letter of the law and that the school or anyone else can not make decisions that are unfair. Some people are for and against homeschooling. It doesn't matter if you send your kids to college at 12, or create rocket scientists, or the etc. Some people simply will not agree. There will be people who think it should not be legal. There will be people who "knew" or "heard" of some worse case scenario and base the whole of their opinion based on that one piece of "information". As with anyone - anything, you represent something to the world. Whether it is your race, gender, nationality, religion, or etc. So put your best self out there. Wrong or Right, people ARE forming opinions based on it. Also, until there is an actual ACTION of threat, got about your business normally. Keep a watchful eye - and take action when it is needed. It looks foolish - and a lil loony - to jump at every acorn that falls from the sky!! These articles are negative energy that doesn't need to be floating all around. We all get enough of that negative energy in real life. We already face enough adversity. We need to be confident, encouraging, supporting, and hopeful. I am sure that spreading these articles scares a lot of prospective homeschoolers because they don't know it is fear mongling with an intent to solicitate HSLDA business and spread a fear based agenda.

And once again, it is time to issue the urgent call to parents across the nation to abandon public schools entirely. Pull your children out of them, now. The government school system is not an educational system but a propaganda tool. Time to abandon it and let it fall under its own overblown weight.

Nice, so now we just do not even care about the rest of society?! We just allow them to fall.

NOTICE. You may enjoy my blog and its ongoing series, "Musings After Midnight." The following are a few examples:

My latest blog entry in the series, Musings After Midnight, is now available at The Liberty Sphere. It's titled, "I get a vote, you get a vote, all God's children get a vote! That's right, Mr. President, and that includes gun rights activists!"

You may also like "'I Shall Not Be Moved:' the bold declaration of patriots who have no intention of obeying unconstitutional laws."

Also check out: "I'll see you in the war -- Civil War II: Notes on the coming calamity to restore the Constitution."

Visit my ministry site at Martin Christian Ministries.

UM, okay, their other posts are about guns, starting a civil war, disobedience of laws... *backing away slowly*

BY THE WAY, to anyone who got to the bottom of this... autodidact has been on Cafemom since the beginning it seems. I have been a Cafemom member since 2006, and have seen her posts here and there over the years. I don't know her, but have respect for her because she responds from a very logical place. She does not usually get caught up in the drama that is so readily available on Cafemom - even when people try to bait her into it. I do not always agree with her, but I can respect someone that is able to handle themselves in a mature fashion. She might come off cold because of it, but I don't think she actually meant any harm here. I make a lot of grammar mistakes and instead of allowing myself to get offended, I thank the person for the honest critique. Because likely, others noticed it too, said nothing, but judged me for it. It takes a stronger person to risk being the "bad guy" to be honest - and it takes an even stronger person to accept that honesty with good grace. It shows maturity to respond logically rather than emotionally. 

Homeschooling Moms