Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Explode the code
April 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Are these okay as a stand alone language arts curriculum? Or do they need to be used with something else? I bought BJU press English 2 for my soon to be 2nd grader and my cousin recently gave me her explode the code books and I really love them...alot better then BJU.
Didn't know if I need to keep the BJU and work ETC in with it or if I could use just ETC... Thanks :)

Replies

• CowgirlMama0508
    April 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    It would be for a Kindergartener and a 2nd grader :)
  • irvinehiker
    April 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I have not used it myself but have heard people are really happy with it.  Have you found homeschoolreviews.com yet?( Can't link right now!).  There are reviews for every possible hs curriculum out there.  I have used the site a lot when I'm checking out new stuff.  

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 4, 2013 at 11:18 PM

We used the ETC books here--loved them!

It is a phonics curriculum, so no it isn't all all-in-one LA. You will need some beginning readers. Sonlight uses the ETC books 1, 2, and 3 with its Readers 1 and 4, 5, 6 with Readers 2. Their LA also includes some spelling words that coordinate and also some fun activities and a schedule for the ETC books.

You will need a handwriting curriculum, spelling, perhaps grammar and basic beginning writing instruction (capitalization and punctionation, sentences, maybe paragraphs), too. There are lots of ways to cover this---you could just use copywork to cover all of it at this age. In fact, Sonlight does this, too. They take excerpts from the books as copywork, then have you discuss certain aspects of it to cover LA. At least the version of Sonlight I used did.

• celticdragon77
    April 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I agree. I used ETC and it was excellent. However it is just phonics. You will need beginning reading books. I also supplemented it with phonic games and activities - for fun and added practice. Then I used other materials for the rest of English. 

Quoting lucsch:

We used the ETC books here--loved them!

It is a phonics curriculum, so no it isn't all all-in-one LA. You will need some beginning readers. Sonlight uses the ETC books 1, 2, and 3 with its Readers 1 and 4, 5, 6 with Readers 2. Their LA also includes some spelling words that coordinate and also some fun activities and a schedule for the ETC books.

You will need a handwriting curriculum, spelling, perhaps grammar and basic beginning writing instruction (capitalization and punctionation, sentences, maybe paragraphs), too. There are lots of ways to cover this---you could just use copywork to cover all of it at this age. In fact, Sonlight does this, too. They take excerpts from the books as copywork, then have you discuss certain aspects of it to cover LA. At least the version of Sonlight I used did.

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    What age or reading level would everyone suggest these books for?
  • celticdragon77
    April 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It is a series of workbooks. I had my kids do them, then they went into the public school where phonics skills were not much taught, and the skills I taught went by the waste side and I suppose forgotten. I recently bought a used set just to have them review all over again - and my kids are 8 and 10 yrs old! 

Quoting mem82:

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Interesting. I might look into them for my 8yo.

Quoting celticdragon77:

It is a series of workbooks. I had my kids do them, then they went into the public school where phonics skills were not much taught, and the skills I taught went by the waste side and I suppose forgotten. I recently bought a used set just to have them review all over again - and my kids are 8 and 10 yrs old! 

Quoting mem82:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts