Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mommy2Phenley
Would you ever sign a statement of faith you did not 100% agree with?
April 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM

I'm just curious. My cousin invited me to join a co op she will be joining next year and has been talking to me about for a while. It sounded like a lot of fun and I was excited about it. She sent me a link to their page last night and I found that you have to join the state association first and that requires a signed statement of faith. I could maybe let slip on a couple technicalities, but there's too much in this one I don't agree with, so I won't be signing. But it makes me really sad because it would be great to be in the co op with my cousin and it's the only one of this nature I know of around here.

So would you sign it? Would it make a difference *what* you didn't agree with? Or how much? Or how relevant to schooling?

Replies

• Pink.Frosting
    April 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM

No, I wouldn't.  If I don't agree with it, I'm *not* signing my name to it.

• katiebeth1821
    April 4, 2013 at 3:48 AM

wow i never heard of this my boys are in a co-op school right now and i dont remember anything like that. I would talk to the school about it. Might be a old site might now apply anymore I would really check with someone before.

I love being in the co-op getting other mom support being able to be there for my child. The kids and parents become friends that can last way after the co-op.

I hope the best. If that thing does apply then dont do something you dont feel is right.

• Mommy2Phenley
    April 4, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Okay, good. I'm glad I'm not alone on that. I want to be confident in my decision when I tell my cousin we're not signing.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

No, I wouldn't.  If I don't agree with it, I'm *not* signing my name to it.

• Mommy2Phenley
    April 4, 2013 at 3:59 AM

No, it's legit and up to date. http://www.utch.org/ is the state association and it's one of it's local chapters that runs the co op. I have joined a co op that does park play dates, field trips, and other random activities. It's fun and there are no up front requirements, fees, or statements to sign. This other co op is one that does a "co op day" once a week where you sign up for different classes and they all meet and basically have parent-run "regular" school for a few hours. I may or may not have decided to do it anyway. That's never been something I was eager to do. But it sounded kind of fun to try out while DD is still young enough that it wouldn't take any time away from our regular work. The main perk would have been doing it with my cousin and her kids.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

wow i never heard of this my boys are in a co-op school right now and i dont remember anything like that. I would talk to the school about it. Might be a old site might now apply anymore I would really check with someone before.

I love being in the co-op getting other mom support being able to be there for my child. The kids and parents become friends that can last way after the co-op.

I hope the best. If that thing does apply then dont do something you dont feel is right.

• katiebeth1821
    April 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Im talking about a school I drop my kids off at and have to vounteer twice a month.

I found one called shining star co-op and it doesnt sound like you have to sign anything.

The only thing i can see that you have to sign is agreeing you are going to show up when its your time too and pay when you are ment to is that the one you are talking about?

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

No, it's legit and up to date. http://www.utch.org/ is the state association and it's one of it's local chapters that runs the co op. I have joined a co op that does park play dates, field trips, and other random activities. It's fun and there are no up front requirements, fees, or statements to sign. This other co op is one that does a "co op day" once a week where you sign up for different classes and they all meet and basically have parent-run "regular" school for a few hours. I may or may not have decided to do it anyway. That's never been something I was eager to do. But it sounded kind of fun to try out while DD is still young enough that it wouldn't take any time away from our regular work. The main perk would have been doing it with my cousin and her kids.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

• Mommy2Phenley
    April 4, 2013 at 4:17 AM

That's kind of more like what this one would be, only drop offs aren't allowed, all parents stay and help with SOMEthing. No, it's more than agreeing you'll show up. Here's the application, the statement is page 2:

http://www.utch.org/images/stories/utch/convention/utchmembershipapplication1.09.2013.ff.pdf

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Im talking about a school I drop my kids off at and have to vounteer twice a month.

I found one called shining star co-op and it doesnt sound like you have to sign anything.

The only thing i can see that you have to sign is agreeing you are going to show up when its your time too and pay when you are ment to is that the one you are talking about?

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

• katiebeth1821
    April 4, 2013 at 4:23 AM

OMG NO I would not sign that at all im shocked and omg im lost for words i would not want my child going there having there veiws pushed on my child. I see what you mean now

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

That's kind of more like what this one would be, only drop offs aren't allowed, all parents stay and help with SOMEthing. No, it's more than agreeing you'll show up. Here's the application, the statement is page 2:

http://www.utch.org/images/stories/utch/convention/utchmembershipapplication1.09.2013.ff.pdf

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

• Mommy2Phenley
    April 4, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    Yea I don't want her going either. I'm sad that it is what it is and that we can't join my cousin. I'm not sad that we won't be joining the group behind that statement, if that makes sense! I'm also a little sad knowing my cousin probably will sign it.

I was also shocked by it. I knew as soon as I saw "statement of faith" that there might be a problem, but I didn't expect to be appalled by so much of it.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

OMG NO I would not sign that at all im shocked and omg im lost for words i would not want my child going there having there veiws pushed on my child. I see what you mean now

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

• katiebeth1821
    April 4, 2013 at 4:31 AM

see if there is a co-op run by the city this one you are talking about is about god im sure there is one that isnt like that and it doesnt make you sign something you dont agree with

• katiebeth1821
    April 4, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Im appalled by it. For a school to go there like that omg its things like that that makes me shake my head and say thats part of the reason we have people who push god on peopel and are blind to change. i belive in god but i dont belive that is what god had in mind or what he want the kids to be learning.

You should talk to your cousin make sure she read it all the way through talk to her about it.

Im shocked that there is a school like that

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Yea I don't want her going either. I'm sad that it is what it is and that we can't join my cousin. I'm not sad that we won't be joining the group behind that statement, if that makes sense! I'm also a little sad knowing my cousin probably will sign it.

I was also shocked by it. I knew as soon as I saw "statement of faith" that there might be a problem, but I didn't expect to be appalled by so much of it.

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting katiebeth1821:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts