Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
trendy2
Where do I start? (PIOG)
by trendy2
April 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM
My oldest (6) will graduate K in June, also have a DD who is 5. My husband works out of state (VA), we live in NC. I plan to withdrawl my son from school after graduation. I have no idea where to start. I have no one to ask that already home schools their child/children. I need all the information/help I can get. We would probably be in VA for 3 months to 1 year depending on the job and how long my DH stays behind after the rest of the company is gone. After that we may be in GA or Nebraska? Just depends. Most jobs only last a year at the most. What state laws would we follow? We will still have a home in NC.

What do I teach? Where do I get materials? What's the first thing I would need to do to even begin the HS process? I am so confused. I need to pick someone's brain!

Replies

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    April 2, 2013 at 9:27 PM

First go online and check out the state laws where you will be homeschooling. Now after I did that I personally went to the library and checked out books on homeschooling. Next I went to a couple of homeschool conventions and hooked up with a support group. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM

As Kat0038 advised, State Laws are the first place to start.  Since you will have a home in NC, you may be able to use that State to comply with no matter what State you live in. . 

Here is a link to NC state laws., Call them at (919) 790-1100 to and ask them about using that state as your home base for homeschooling even if you move.

Here is a link where you can check out all state laws concerning home education

How To Home School gives you the basics on how to get started 

How To Home School (is more detailed, giving methods, grade level requirements, and more)

How To Home School is much more detailed.

• jeweldragons
    April 3, 2013 at 6:50 AM

You need to learn your state laws on homeschooling first.

Materials and curriculum you can get pretty much anywhere. 

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

BUMP!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts