Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
armygirl16
Horizon, Saxon or Singapore for kindergarten?
April 2, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Mobile Photo

I will be purchasing from Sonlight later this year for kindergarten. I can't decide on which math program. They offer Horizons, Singapore, or Saxon. Which one is the best? Oh and should I get kindergarten or 1st grade? My daughter can add numbers with a sum up to 14. Right now she begs me to let her use my computer to do math drills over and over. After awhile I will introduce her to subtraction as well. She learned how to add in about 5 minutes, no joke. I just told her how it was done and she could Do it. She learns very fast. Because of this I have no idea what level (K or 1st) to get. Or what program for that matter. She doesn't know how to count by 2s or 5s yet but she can count by 10s. Oh and she is 4 1/2 now but will be 5 in August.
Help??!!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    Hm, that is tough. I would check their websites and see if they have a test to help you choose a grade. At her age, it might be good to get k just so she has a super strong base.
  • AutymsMommy
    April 2, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I definitely wouldn't do Singapore K if you consider her "ahead" in math. Singapore really ramps up after K, but their K is... weak, imo.

Horizons is pretty rigorous, in general. We plan to use the Kindergarten with my son this upcoming fall. Go to Christian Book Distributors and look at the contents. I'm going to say that if she can't skip count, can't subtract, etc, she probably could use Kinder; she just may fly through certain parts of it - and that's okay! Homeschool perk... you can move at her pace. Most Kinder math programs teach important skills like money, clocks, calendars, better writing of numbers, signs, etc.... those things are important to know before grade 1 math.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM

none of them, i'd go or rod and staff! or just let her do it online or print out a bunch of worksheets and make a workbook! let her decorate the workbook cover, then you can choose the math pages you think will help her

• celticdragon77
    April 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I have heard excellent things about all three. I have never used horizons math, but have looked through it.

My kids LOVE math and can't get enough of it. So I used Singapore in the morning and Saxon in the afternoon. Both are short and only took us maybe 20 minutes each to do. Singapore is better at teaching the concepts in my opinion and Saxon is better at cementing the material. Which is why I use the combination; and why one is morning work and one is afternoon work.

Even when the kids were in public school, we did after school lessons.

I have never used kindergarten math books. What I do highly recommend is manipulatives. I had my kids play with them from an early age (and also some Montessori math lessons / manulatives - easy to make). I swear by this being why they excel at math now. 

• armygirl16
    April 2, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    Yeah, that's why I didn't really want to skip kinder but wasn't sure because I didn't want it to be too easy. She knows the value of coins but I haven't worked with her on counting money (like adding a dime, nickle and penny). Maybe I'll just go with Horizons kindergarten then.
    Thank you!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I definitely wouldn't do Singapore K if you consider her "ahead" in math. Singapore really ramps up after K, but their K is... weak, imo.

Horizons is pretty rigorous, in general. We plan to use the Kindergarten with my son this upcoming fall. Go to Christian Book Distributors and look at the contents. I'm going to say that if she can't skip count, can't subtract, etc, she probably could use Kinder; she just may fly through certain parts of it - and that's okay! Homeschool perk... you can move at her pace. Most Kinder math programs teach important skills like money, clocks, calendars, better writing of numbers, signs, etc.... those things are important to know before grade 1 math.

• armygirl16
    April 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    The only thing is, I'm going to be using Sonlight and it gives me the option of those 3 math programs. Although I guess I could just not get a math program and pick and choose my curriculum with them and order the math program elsewhere.

Quoting oredeb:

none of them, i'd go or rod and staff! or just let her do it online or print out a bunch of worksheets and make a workbook! let her decorate the workbook cover, then you can choose the math pages you think will help her

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

ohhhhhh welll

the only one ive ever used is the saxon, but they didnt have younger grades when my kids were young so we started with the 48 i think it was, and ive used all saxon math ever since!

Quoting armygirl16:

The only thing is, I'm going to be using Sonlight and it gives me the option of those 3 math programs. Although I guess I could just not get a math program and pick and choose my curriculum with them and order the math program elsewhere.

Quoting oredeb:

• rsrangel
    April 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I have used both Singapore and Horizons.  We love Horizons and my kindergartener is doing great with it (loves math), but it has gone a little to quick for my 2nd grader so we are switching to another curriculum for him next year.  We didn't like Singapore.  I didn't like the layout of it.  With Horizons I like that they add a little bit of review to each page so the kids get extra practice with each subject instead of teaching one thing at a time and rarely reviewing.  On the Horizons website (www.aop.com) you can view sample pages.  Also, I've googled placement tests and a link for Sonlight popped up with placement tests for each of those curriculums so I would try to google that once you decide and that will help you determine what level you should start her at. 

• jeweldragons
    April 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Why not test her to see which level to buy?  I will be using Singapore Earlybird A and B for Kindergarten Math for my future children.

• gratefulgal
    April 2, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I don't know about the others, but I used Horizons for K and I highly suggest that you also do MANY hands on manipulatives because they use lots of number line work and drill. It's advanced and moves fast, but lots of review. I had to go back and add math u see as well as SO MANY extra games and such when we started 1st grade because the addition facts had not clicked yet. Sometimes age has to do with that, but forewarned is forearmed, so to speak. Other than that, we like it alot!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN