Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Standardized testing (esp. in GA but not necessarily)
March 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM

This is our first year homeschooling and we have to take a standardized test. We are in Georgia. 

The problem is, all the ITBS sites I've seen require the person giving the test to have a bachelors. DH and I don't have one. We have some friends that do as well as a couple of family members, but they all have jobs and lives/kids of their own... no time for a 5 hour standardized test.

Is there a "nationally recognized" test that doesn't require a bachelors?

Are there "testing sites" in GA? I haven't had any luck finding any.


  • somuchlove4U
    March 31, 2013 at 11:40 PM
    You could try your local school and sign up with them. Are you apart of a Homeschool group? If so they may have someone who can administer the test.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    April 1, 2013 at 6:05 AM

    The Georgia State Home School Association has a list of test suppliers on their website

  • KickButtMama
    April 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM

    I know several teachers who offer to oversee standardized tests for a fee. I'm not in GA, but you could see about a teacher who might be willing. 

    I found a list of testing sites by googling Standardized Testing Sites in GA.

  • Beachmama34
    April 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

    We are in Ga and we will do ours with the homeschool co-op.  CHART.  It is based in Thomasville, Ga. If you are close. Good luck!

  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    April 2, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    I am in Texas, we aren't required to test but some parents chose to test & they buy the test strait from the Texas Education Department & administer them their selves.
    I read the testing requirements you have to do & if I where you I would find a test that you meet the administration requirements for & use it.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM

    I saw on the news that teachers were boosting scores in the public schools by erasing answers and remarking them. There is a big cheating scandal in Georgia over this. I wonder if this will make them crack down on the testing procedures even more.

    I'm thankful we do not have to test in Indiana.

  • PinkButterfly66
    April 2, 2013 at 2:23 PM

    I believe you can have the guidance councellor of your neighborhood public school be a proctor.  Your child will have to take the test on school property, though.

  • Prayerlion
    April 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Go to This is a very helpful site for Georgia homeschoolers. There is a test called CAT, California Achievement Test that parents can administer and return which does not require you to have a drgree. Hope this helps.
  • sha_lyn68
    April 4, 2013 at 7:31 PM

    Are you certain that you need to test this year? Yearly testing is not required in GA. The law is every 3 years starting in 3rd grade. You can order the CAT5 or the Teranova through Thurber's :    if your child is 8th grade or below, you can order the PASS from Hewitt:

    Many homeschool groups in GA use someone certified to test through BJU. You can use the tester locator to find someone in your area:

  • Kerseygeek
    April 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM
    A place in Alpharetta called LEO (Lifelong Educational Opportunity) offers the test in May. I don't remember if you can still sign up. It's $50 & lasts 3 days at 2hrs/day. My understanding is that the person has to be certified to give the test. I think a place called LEAD (don't know what it stands for) may offer it too. You can google both places along with the word homeschool & it should come up. Hope that helps.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN