Homeschooling Moms

KickButtMama
Homeschooling Laws
January 16 at 4:23 PM

Ok, so I know one of the #1 questions we get is "Where do I start?" and the #1 response? With the laws in your state. Each state has their own rules and requirements. So I thought I'd just start a post where I'll add in an overview of the HS laws in each state. 

Please remember, homeschool laws are subject to change. Use this post as a spring board, not legal advice. The laws in your state may have changed since I posted it.

Happy Learning!
Shannon 

Replies

• MommeisQueen
    November 6, 2013 at 5:25 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! 

• EmmDee
    by EmmDee
    January 1 at 11:54 AM

Hi - I am not certain who I should direct this comment to, but there have been significant changes in the homeschooling laws for NEW HAMPSHIRE.  They are not reflected in the laws section for that state.

Thank you,

EmmDee

• mommy2girls0506
    April 24 at 11:42 PM

Thank you for this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hawaii

Hawai'i HS Assoc

Notice of intent

Any parent may homeschool his or her child by filing a notice of intent with the principal of the local public school. The notice may be given on the DOE's Form 4140, or in a letter containing the required information.

Form 4140 can be downloaded as a PDF file from the DOE's website:
    http://doe.k12.hi.us/myschool/homeschool/

DOE approval is not needed. The rules say that parents shall have a "record of the planned curriculum," but the plan is not ordinarily shared with the school.

Annual progress report

An annual progress report is required. You have a choice of showing progress via: standardized test scores, an evaluation by a teacher certified in the state of Hawai'i, or a parent-written report providing statements of progress in each subject area and samples of the student's work.

Standardized testing and alternatives

Standardized test scores are normally required in grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. Students may participate in the Statewide Testing Program at the local school, or private testing may be arranged at the parent's expense. Alternatives to standardized testing are allowed: "Parents may request and principals may approve other means of evaluation." In our experience, parents wishing to use other means of evaluation have been able to do so. Parent-written reports and student portfolios have been accepted in lieu of test scores.

Participation in school programs

The State Department of Education has taken the position that, under the existing administrative rules, homeschooled students are not allowed to participate in school classes or extra-curricular activities.

High school diploma

The Hawaii DOE does not award credit towards high school graduation for time spent homeschooled. Diplomas from the adult community school may be earned by taking the GEDTests.

• KickButtMama
    April 25 at 9:55 AM

You're welcome! (And I'm jealous as we freeze to death in the North East) lol

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Thank you for this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hawaii

Hawai'i HS Assoc

Notice of intent

Any parent may homeschool his or her child by filing a notice of intent with the principal of the local public school. The notice may be given on the DOE's Form 4140, or in a letter containing the required information.

DOE approval is not needed. The rules say that parents shall have a "record of the planned curriculum," but the plan is not ordinarily shared with the school.

Annual progress report

An annual progress report is required. You have a choice of showing progress via: standardized test scores, an evaluation by a teacher certified in the state of Hawai'i, or a parent-written report providing statements of progress in each subject area and samples of the student's work.

Standardized test scores are normally required in grades 3, 5, 8 and 10. Students may participate in the Statewide Testing Program at the local school, or private testing may be arranged at the parent's expense. Alternatives to standardized testing are allowed: "Parents may request and principals may approve other means of evaluation." In our experience, parents wishing to use other means of evaluation have been able to do so. Parent-written reports and student portfolios have been accepted in lieu of test scores.

The State Department of Education has taken the position that, under the existing administrative rules, homeschooled students are not allowed to participate in school classes or extra-curricular activities.

High school diploma

The Hawaii DOE does not award credit towards high school graduation for time spent homeschooled. Diplomas from the adult community school may be earned by taking the GEDTests.

• KickButtMama
    April 25 at 9:56 AM

You're welcome!

Quoting MommeisQueen:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! 

• KickButtMama
    April 25 at 9:59 AM

Ahh, yes. The fun, ever changing state of HS laws. I put in the original post that the laws are constantly changing. When I put this post together it was through Internet research. I added links for each state (I believe). I would hope the links would lead you to the most recent incarnation of the laws. But feel free to post a reply with an update at any time! 

Quoting EmmDee:

Hi - I am not certain who I should direct this comment to, but there have been significant changes in the homeschooling laws for NEW HAMPSHIRE.  They are not reflected in the laws section for that state.

Thank you,

EmmDee

• mommy2girls0506
    April 25 at 4:21 PM

I have family on the mainland still (scattered all over the US) but I've got some from up north and I hear that from them almost daily lol.  I'm a big Yankees fan too and I was watching the series vs Boston and everytime they showed the crowd I would shutter thinking of how cold they must have been just based on what they were wearing.  I moved here back in July so haven't even been here a year yet but I am so glad I don't got to deal with the craziness of it being freezing cold so close to May

Quoting KickButtMama:

You're welcome! (And I'm jealous as we freeze to death in the North East) lol

Quoting mommy2girls0506:

Thank you for this

Quoting KickButtMama:

Hawaii

Hawai'i HS Assoc

Notice of intent

Annual progress report

High school diploma

• sha_lyn68
    May 2 at 5:07 PM

Yep...GA law recently keeps changing for the better. For the first decade we homeschooled we had to send in monthly attendance reports. 2 yrs ago that changed to a yearly report at the end of the school yr. Last summer that changed to only having to keep a record at home. The process required for a homeschooler to get a learner's permit or driver's license has also simplified in the last couple of years

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ahh, yes. The fun, ever changing state of HS laws. I put in the original post that the laws are constantly changing. When I put this post together it was through Internet research. I added links for each state (I believe). I would hope the links would lead you to the most recent incarnation of the laws. But feel free to post a reply with an update at any time! 

Quoting EmmDee:

Thank you,

EmmDee

• mommaof697
    July 10 at 10:53 AM

The law was changed last year to be 5 in KDGTN it is only 1 school year old.

Thank you for posting I know several people that when they ask how do you find out I can point them to this post. Thanks.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Wisconsin - 

Wisconsin Parents Assoc

Wisconsin

Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 6 and 18. (6 by September 1) §§ 118.14 and 118.15).

Required Days of Instruction: "at least 875 hours of instruction each school year."
       (§ 118.15(4), § 118.165(c))

Required Subjects: Reading, language arts, math, social studies, science and health. (§ 118.165(d))

Teacher Qualifications: None.

Standardized Tests: None.

Home School Statute: Wis. Stat. Ann. § 118.15(4), § 118.165(1).

1. Definition: A "home-based private educational program" is a program of educational instruction provided to a child by the child's parent or guardian or by a person designated by the parent or guardian. An instructional program provided to more than one family is not a home-based private educational program. (§ 115.001(3g)). However, a home schooling mother can be "a person designated" by another parent to do the teaching for their student. In this case, however, the parents should still file a statement of enrollment (see #2 below) for their own children. 
       2. By October 15 each year the parents must submit a statement of enrollment to the department of education, indicating whether the home school meets all the requirements under § 118.165. (§ 115.30(3))
       3. "Instruction in a home-based private educational program that meets all of the criteria under § 118.165(1) may be substituted for attendance at public or private school." (§ 118.15(4)). The § 118.165(1) criteria are: 
           a. "Primary purpose of the program is to provide private or religious-based education," 
           b. "The program is privately controlled," 
           c.  The program provides at least 875 hours of instruction, 
           d.  The program "provides a sequentially progressive curriculum of fundamental  instruction" in the Required Subjects: (which "does not require the program to include in its curriculum any concept, topic or practice in conflict with the program's religious doctrines," or exclude any such topic), and 
           e.   The program is not operated to circumvent the compulsory attendance law.

The state Department of Education will issue a simple form where the parent simply checks true or false for each of the items above.

Reference: Click Here 

Wisconsin State High School Graduation Requirements
    • English units:  4
    • Math units:  2.  Must include "instruction in the properties, processes, and symbols of arithmetic and elements of algebra, geometry, and statistics."
    • Social studies units:  3.  Must include instruction in state and local government.
    • Science units:  2. Must include "instruction in the biological sciences and physical sciences."
    • P.E./Health units:  2.  Includes 1.5 units p.e. and .5 unit health. .5 unit in health education must be earned sometime in grades 7-12.
    • Arts:  0
    • Foreign language:  0
    • Electives units:  0
    • Other units:  0. A local board may require students to "participate in community service activities" to earn a high school diploma.
    TOTAL # units:  13 units 
      * 13 units includes .5 unit of health education which must be earned sometime in grades 7-12. In addition to the 12.5 units set forth to be earned during grades 9-12, "the state superintendent encourages boards to require a minimum of 8.5 additional credits in vocational education, foreign languages, fine arts and other courses" (for a total of 21 units, or 21.5, including the health unit to be completed between grades 7-12).

Other diploma options:  State does not offer differentiated diploma pathways. State has policy on awarding proficiency-based credit. 

Notes:  Every local board must establish high school graduation criteria in addition to the state-level requirements; such criteria must include students' academic performance and teachers' recommendations.

• TigerofMu
    August 5 at 10:07 AM

Thank you!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Wyoming 

Homeschoolers of Wyoming

Wyoming

Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 7 (on or before September 15 of any year) and 16 or completed the tenth grade…." (§ 21-4-102).

Required Days of Instruction: 175 days. (§ 21-4-301)

Required Subjects: A "'basic academic educational program' is one that provides a sequentially progressive curriculum of fundamental instruction in reading, writing, math, civics, history, literature, and science." (§ 21-4-101(a)(vi)).

Teacher Qualifications: None.

Standardized Tests: None.

Home School Statute: Wyo. Stat. §§ 21-4-101,-102.

1. Parents must annually submit a curriculum to the local board of trustees showing that a "basic academic educational program" is provided. (§ 21-4-102 (b)) 
       2. "These curriculum requirements do not require any private school or home-based educational program to include in its curriculum any concept, topic or practice in conflict with its religious doctrines or to exclude from its curriculum any concept, topic or practice consistent with its religious doctrines." (§ 21-4-101(a)(vi)) 
       3. Failure to submit a curriculum showing compliance is prima facie evidence that the home-based education program does not meet the requirements of the statute. (§ 21-4-102(b)) 
       4. An instructional program provided to more than one family unit does not constitute a home-based educational program. (§ 21-4-101(a)(v))

Alternative Statutes Allowing for Home Schools: Wyo. Stat. § 21-4-101(a)(iv).

If a home school is "one operated under the auspices or control of a local church or religious congregation or a denomination," it may be regarded as a parochial, church, or religious school. This exempts the school from state regulation because the statute says that nothing under §§ 21-4- 102(b), 21-2-401, or 21-2-406 "grants to the state of Wyoming…any right or authority to control, manage, [or] supervise…any parochial, church, or religious school."

Reference: Click here 

Wyoming State High School Graduation Requirements
    • English units:  4.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in language arts. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas which include language arts.
    • Math units:  3.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in math. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas which include math.
    • Social studies units:  3.  Must include "history, American government and economic systems and institutions, provided business instructors" may teach economic systems and institutions courses. Students must also pass an exam on the principles of the U.S. and Wyoming constitutions.
    • Science units:  3.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in science. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas which include science.
    • P.E./Health units:  0.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in health and physical education. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas, two of which are health and physical education.
    • Arts:  0.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in fine and performing arts. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas, which include fine and performing arts.
    • Foreign language:  0.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in foreign language. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas, which include foreign language.
    • Electives units:  0
    • Other units:  0.  Diplomas must indicate a level of endorsement. Comprehensive endorsement: Standard reqts. + proficient performance on common core of knowledge and skills in career/vocational education. General endorsement: Proficient performance in a majority of 9 subject areas, which include career/vocational education.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts