Homeschooling Moms

QueenCreole313
What are your homeschool goals?
March 31, 2013 at 8:06 AM

What is of most importance to you and your family with regards to home education? Do you stress reading and writing, math and science, creativity and technology? I'm curious. 

Describe the type of human being you want your to child(ren) to be. 

Queen

Replies

• jeweldragons
    March 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I am TTC but I want my children to love learning.  I want them to be able to experience the world.  If we want to take a trip somewhere then we can do it without having to wait for the school's 'mandated' breaks.  Phoenix and I want one of our sons to go to school all the way for his Ph. D in Islamic Studies so he can help the Ummah with Islam.  We want one son to be a doctor and Phoenix wants the rest to be engineers.  We are both in agreement that we need to stress math, science and Islamic Studies in all our children. 

Insha Allah (means "God Willing") we want our children to be good Muslims who care about helping the poor and oppressed.  Who are proud Muslims.  Who strive to be good global citizens. Who take what they learn from us and pass it on to the world and the Ummah.  Who will fight to protect their fellow Muslims from harm and stand up for injustice.   

• No_Difference
    March 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I don't stress which subject(s) is/are more important. Currently I'm focusing more on reading and writing because those are the areas my daughter is struggling in. She is far ahead in math and science. With my little guy, reading, since that's really all he's "learning" at the moment. Once we get all our foundations set, and I really see which way each child is leaning, I'll focus their schooling in those individual directions.
    As for type of human - a good model citizen with compassion, one who can think for themself, and is grateful for what they have (still working VERY hard on that qualtiy).

• OFIH
    by OFIH
    March 31, 2013 at 9:10 AM

We stress passion for learning. If you have that passion you will learn, no matter your circumstances. I have a passion for learning and learn more now that I am out of formal educational settings than I did when I was in them. It's the drive to learn that I want to instill, educationally, in my children.

We do stress a lot of language, grammar, reading, etc because of our older son's dyslexia and our younger son's love of reading. But that's not something we chose to stress. It turned out that way. I love to read and believe it is a very important skill that crosses into almost every subject you can learn, so I am great with stressing this aspect of education.

What type of person do I want my children to be when they are adults?

I, first and most important, want my children to be Godly men who are humble men of God, men He will one day call "good and faithful servants". I want them to love others as Christ loves them, and love their wives and children as Christ loves the church. I want them to sacrifice for others and serve others humbly and willingly as Christ served His disciples.

I want them to be honest and men of integrity. I want them to be the type of men that others look at them and trust them simply because they said they will or won't do something. There is no second guessing their trustworthiness. I want them to love others and go that extra mile for them in any given situation, dying to self.

To put it simply, I want them to "love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." If they do that, they will be successful men.

• LostInLove2002
    March 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Well, I just changed our curriculum. I'm  hoping for him to lean and enjoy it too.

I've often said, "I don't care if he grows up being a ditchdigger...as long as he serves the Lord."  And I mean that.

• KickButtMama
    March 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I've always maintained one truth when it comes to my HS - as long as the kids learn HOW to learn, then I feel like a success. I don't care if they have all their 12 times tables memorized. I don't care about that type of learning. But if they understand where to look for information, how to ask questions and how to understand and remember the information that they gather - then I will feel like a success. 

• KickButtMama
    March 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What type of person do I want my boys to be? Honorable, honest, etc. I want them to be strong enough in their sense of self, and their sense of right and wrong that they will not fall victim to peer pressure. I want them to be strong enough to stand up for the weak, even if that makes them unpopular.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I want my kids above all else to be happy, creative, imagainative, love learning, and to always love books.  These are things kids naturally have.  All kids really need is freedom to explore and everything else will fall into place.  I want my kids to treat others with respect as well as themselves.  I also wish for them to be happy and feel confident enough to go for their dreams whatever they may be.  We are a big technology and book family.  We love everything.

• bren_darlene
    March 31, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I too try to instill a love for learning (as kickbuttmama mentioned above) and I also agree with the following.   All but one of mine is now grown with most married with their own families.

Quoting KickButtMama:

What type of person do I want my boys to be? Honorable, honest, etc. I want them to be strong enough in their sense of self, and their sense of right and wrong that they will not fall victim to peer pressure. I want them to be strong enough to stand up for the weak, even if that makes them unpopular.

• debramommyof4
    March 31, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    We don't stress a certain subject. For us it is more important that our kids are challenged in all subjects. We want our children to be kind, compassionate, knowledgeable in anything they do, and brave enough to stand up for themselves and others.
  • SusanTheWriter
    March 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I want my kids to grow up emotionally healthy and strong enough to overcome whatever challenges come their way. I want them to be good, honest, moral people who respect others, no matter what differences may lie between them.

Academically, I'll be honest, we do tend to push STEM subjects and critical thinking. My kids are strong readers, so combined with the critical thinking, I don't worry too much about them not understanding literature and history and current, real-world applications.

But STEM subjects require specific skills and knowledge, so we put specific effort into teaching those.

Homeschooling Moms