Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
MamaDearie
The ex will let him homeschool but is sure to battle about curriculum. Help!
March 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
So.... the ex has officially agreed to allow DS to homeschool next year. We will be sitting down together with DS sometime over the next week to discuss curriculum and what we both see as guidelines. This is all good. But I am feeling SO stressed and overwhelmed. 4 y/o DD has been 'doing' homeschool here since January and after a few trials and errors, we have discovered CLE and LOVE it. She is thriving! We only add AlphaPhonics and A Reason for Handwriting (both for extra practice and both of which she totally enjoys). And in seeing all of this come together for her, I feel very apprehensive in trying to get it all together for DS - with the restrictions and compulsive controlling watchfullness that will likely come from his father. I can hear it now. Rule 1 will be no religion should be involved in any way. Rule 2 will be that we must follow the exact standards and scope and sequence set forth by the state so that should he have to return to school for 5th grade he won't have any gaps. And I am sure it will go on from there. That throws CLE completely out the window - as well as most other curricula that I may have considered. I am going to be forced to set it all up piece by piece, justifying each decision all along the way. I really don't want to have to go into teaching him in a way that I don't feel is in his best interest just to compromise with the ex - again. This is primarily a vent so thanks for listening but if anyone has any words of wisdom, I am all ears.

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 26, 2013 at 5:35 PM

good luck

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

awwwww, can you pick out a secular curr to please him and then teach it the way you want?

• MamaDearie
    March 26, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    Thanks!
    Quoting romacox:

good luck

• MamaDearie
    March 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    That does seem like a possibility. It's just so hard to always have him on me about everything while trying to raise 2 other children with my DH in a way that we feel is right. Sigh.
    Quoting oredeb:

awwwww, can you pick out a secular curr to please him and then teach it the way you want?

• bether89
    March 26, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I hope that you are able to find a curriculum that will work for your son and  meet the requirements of your ex.

• kirbymom
    March 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Well, the first thing you should do is......

Take a deep breath in, hold it for 3 seconds, now slowly let it out. Do you feel a little bit more relaxed? If not, then repeat until you do. :)  

I would just think on getting you and your ex on the same page, as far as expectations are concerned, first. Then ask him what he knows about the curriculums out there and if he has any thoughts about them? Then show him some of what you are looking at and discuss them together. Your ex will be less likely to dismiss anything out of hand if you go this route with him. It will help to dispell, in his mind at least, that you are doing everything you can to include him in your homeschooling lifestyle. Then offer to keep a copy of your son's schoolwork in a file folder and on a cd that he can take with him to look ove at his leisure whenever he wants to  make sure that things are going great. If you go into this little get together with an amiableness and an agreeableness on your part, I think he will be more likely to let you have a point or two, of how you want things, to go your way.  Keep a calm and level headed demeanor and viewpoint throughout the whole get together. You CAN do this. You'll see. :)   

• bellaamore
    March 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Get the timberdoodle curriculum packs. They are lways good and offer the most highly reiewed of each subject. If theres any religion, you can trade for omething else free of charge.:)

• MamaDearie
    March 26, 2013 at 9:19 PM
    Thank you! Sometimes being reminded to breathe is a wonderful thing. :-) I needed that! And thank you for the rest of the advice as well.
    Quoting kirbymom:

Take a deep breath in, hold it for 3 seconds, now slowly let it out. Do you feel a little bit more relaxed? If not, then repeat until you do. :)  

I would just think on getting you and your ex on the same page, as far as expectations are concerned, first. Then ask him what he knows about the curriculums out there and if he has any thoughts about them? Then show him some of what you are looking at and discuss them together. Your ex will be less likely to dismiss anything out of hand if you go this route with him. It will help to dispell, in his mind at least, that you are doing everything you can to include him in your homeschooling lifestyle. Then offer to keep a copy of your son's schoolwork in a file folder and on a cd that he can take with him to look ove at his leisure whenever he wants to  make sure that things are going great. If you go into this little get together with an amiableness and an agreeableness on your part, I think he will be more likely to let you have a point or two, of how you want things, to go your way.  Keep a calm and level headed demeanor and viewpoint throughout the whole get together. You CAN do this. You'll see. :)   

• kirbymom
    March 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Aww >> you are so welcome! :)  If you need any more advice, well, I would be happy to help. :))

Quoting MamaDearie:

Thank you! Sometimes being reminded to breathe is a wonderful thing. :-) I needed that! And thank you for the rest of the advice as well.
    Quoting kirbymom:

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 26, 2013 at 10:13 PM
    Ugh. He sounds like a butt. This is why I'm happy my ex doesn't want to be overly involved in anything. I mean, in every other way for my daughter that sucks, but when it comes to homeschool its great.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts