Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KickButtMama
OT- Internet Service?
March 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

O. M. G. I'm one of those people who is cursed to be the one to suffer every bad luck when it comes to service. This week I had my main email - through AT&T - deleted without any warning. I'm especially bummed since I used my email to back up my c-drive (kinda like iCloud is now), and I've had this email for about 12 years....so all old pictures, all my HS files, all my contacts...just...gone! Grrrrr. So part one of this post, is my gripe against AT&T, since when I tried to find out how to fix the deletion I was told "so sad, too bad" that if I PAID for email (and I don't know who does that but businesses anymore) then they could have fixed the problem, but because it was a free email my info was gone, and I couldn't even use the same address for 1 year....ggrrr 

second. Who do you have as an Internet provider? I recently cut out my cable bundle, so I just have the Internet but its still way more than I want to pay at $70/month. So I'm wondering...is that the norm now for DSL? 

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I am no help because I have to use satellite for my Internetif I want it faster then dial-up. We spend around $80 a month for ours, it is never throttled but we aren't guaranteed the speed we pay for & most days it is slow but not as slow as dial-up.

• bluerooffarm
    March 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I have high speed internet through verizon.  It is bundled with my phone service and long distance.  Together they are $56.22.

• KickButtMama
    March 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Wow shows whati know! Lol. Yeah, they said I could pay less for slower speed - but it was only like $15/month less for 3x slower speed. So it wasn't worth it, especially when we use digital things for learning all the time.
  • hipmomto3
    March 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    Gmail! Free, web based, no trouble. :)

We have super fast internet. It costs $110/mo bundled with a landline, but DH's company gives us $100/mo because he works from home. We can do loads of stuff with it. It's through AT&T because our only other option here is a company that does DSL, and that would not be fast enough for DH's work.
  • irvinehiker
    March 26, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I have my cable, internet, and landline all bundled together with Charter Communications.   I have the fastest speed internet available in my area, about 150 channels, and unlimited everything on my phone and pay about $140/month for it all.  I'm thinking about getting rid of some of that cable, we hardly watch actual tv.   

• jeweldragons
    March 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    I have Hughes Net. It's $96.99 a month. I just rent the equipment instead of paying the price long term. I live in the country and this or dialup are the ones I could get out here.
  • kirbymom
    March 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM

We do not have cable or satellite or even have a landline. All we have is a mobile device that we paid a one time $110 fee, for Internet and now only pay $40 a month for. 

• KickButtMama
    March 26, 2013 at 10:00 PM

This was our problem. But my noun drum was the only tv we DO watch are cable channels - discovery, investigation discovery, science, etc. but I got a Roku device so I can just catch those channels through streaming and Hulu and save about $100/month. Since we always had Netflix and Hulu (together equal about $20/month) and our bundle was about $169/month now it will be the $70/month + the $20. 

Quoting irvinehiker:

I have my cable, internet, and landline all bundled together with Charter Communications.   I have the fastest speed internet available in my area, about 150 channels, and unlimited everything on my phone and pay about $140/month for it all.  I'm thinking about getting rid of some of that cable, we hardly watch actual tv.   

• KickButtMama
    March 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Which company mobile device do you have? I have a NetZero, but we use too much data for it to be economical, so I only use it when we are out and about, so I'll pay $20/month

Quoting kirbymom:

We do not have cable or satellite or even have a landline. All we have is a mobile device that we paid a one time $110 fee, for Internet and now only pay $40 a month for. 

• kirbymom
    March 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I use virgin mobile. I would only suggest for someone to buy it for personal use. We are a very, data using, family and they are not as great as they "say" they are. They are cheaper than most everyone else out there but then again, there are some small sacrifices to be that cheap too. I've been with them way longer than I would like but I am just way too cheap to shell out moneythat I know could be put to better use somewhere else. if you kwim? I checked into Net Zero and just can not justify spending that much money. I have been on the look out for about 2 years now and still am not satified with what I am coming up with as my answers. :(  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Which company mobile device do you have? I have a NetZero, but we use too much data for it to be economical, so I only use it when we are out and about, so I'll pay $20/month

Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN