Homeschooling Moms

IntlMom12
Curriculum in a box or make your own?
March 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Edit: I have edited the poll to include Combination and None of the above.

What do you do? This has been my first year of homeschooling and I decided last year to get a curriculum in a box, but I have to admit that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Part of the reason I wanted to homeschool was to have the flexibility of teaching to the strengths of my children, and not necessarily what was coming up next in the lesson plan. DS1 LOVES math and we have already started working on multiplication with him. He is 6.

What do you use, curriculum in a box or compile your own?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 16% - Curriculum in a box
  2. 44% - All your own
  3. 8% - Unschool
  4. 30% - Combination
  5. 0% - None of the above

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    March 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I pull curricula from several sources and on several different "levels".

• rsrangel
    March 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I don't buy a complete curriculum in a box.  We buy curriculum from several different publishers, make up some of our own stuff, and usually are child-led when it comes to science and history. 

• No_Difference
    March 25, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I buy curriculum from a bunch of different publishers so that it fits with how my kids learn and how I teach - that way we get the best of both worlds :)

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

None of those questions apply to me. Like No_difference above,  I am eclectic....create a lot of my own....use some curriculum like games and ones created by home school families....real life experiences.....unschooling...ext.

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    I also pull from different publishers. Lets say if the math didn't work but were loving the history, I don't have to drop the history. We just find another math. It's a good in between.
  • charla_r
    March 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    We are going to be using My Father's World kindergarten next year but I am pulling resources from other publishers/sites for certain subjects. I also plan to allow time for some weekly unit studies of topics my DD chooses. It will be our first year so we will be figuring out what works the best for our family.
  • RockEducation
    March 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I buy curricula from many different publishers.

• QueenCreole313
    March 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM

We do a mix. Some workbooks, dvds, online, games, etc. not a box set neither do i have the time to orint indivudual worksheets or is he a fully unschooled child. Definitely a mix!

• motheroffour186
    March 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    We as a family are going make.our own starting this year
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

none apply to me either! i use everything for teaching and i write/make my own

Homeschooling Moms