Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
hipmomto3
Summer break - do you take one? how long?
March 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Do you take a break from school for summer? If so, how long? Or if not, do you lighten the load a little, or just trudge right through?

I'm trying to decide what to do. I think we all NEED a nice break - days to just sleep in, go swimming a lot, play outside. But I don't want to take it too long, because they lose skills. I'm conflicted. :)

Replies

• CowgirlMama0508
    March 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
    We are starting June 3rd (1st year) and plan on 2 weeks on 1 week off for June and July.
  • TxMommyOfBoys
    March 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    We are light all year :)
  • aneela
    by aneela
    March 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    We just started with K and will not be taking any long breaks. I think it is best for us right now to still do work thru the summer months
  • aneela
    by aneela
    March 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    Taking a few days here n there for fun or short trips I think is a great idea too tho n we will do some fun field trips when we can
  • Koltie6
    by Koltie6
    March 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    June July and August. I think there are many things that cannot be learned in a book.
  • RockEducation
    March 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM

We are on summer break from June 1st through July 31st. I need a break from doing school just as much, if not more, than my DD (5th grader next year).  I'm still on teacher duty though, so to speak. I use that time to schedule materials, brush up on any math skills that need work, preview new curriculum/equipment, gather any/all supplies we need for science, and in general, just make sure our school is ready to begin on schedule.

• hipmomto3
    March 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I also need time to prepare for our next school year!

I feel like our enthusiasm has fizzled a  little the last month or two. We are so gung ho at the start of the year, so much new material, fun stuff ahead of us. The last 30 days or so just drag on, and I hate that. 

I know some public-schooling moms who do a theme of the day during summer. Like Math Mondays, Take-a-Trip Tuesdays, etc - so they are still making sure to learn things, do crafts, go places, read, do math - and hopefully avoiding the brain drain that can happen over summer. I know I see that happen to my own kids when we just take 2 weeks off at Christmas. (I'm like, "Seriously? You ALREADY forgot how to tell time?!" LOL)

• QueenCreole313
    March 25, 2013 at 9:49 AM

We are on a semi year round schedule. 4 weeks on 1 week off. We will take all of July off. 

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 25, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    From the very end of May to middle of August.
  • RockEducation
    March 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Quoting hipmomto3:

I also need time to prepare for our next school year!

I feel like our enthusiasm has fizzled a  little the last month or two. We are so gung ho at the start of the year, so much new material, fun stuff ahead of us. The last 30 days or so just drag on, and I hate that. 

I know some public-schooling moms who do a theme of the day during summer. Like Math Mondays, Take-a-Trip Tuesdays, etc - so they are still making sure to learn things, do crafts, go places, read, do math - and hopefully avoiding the brain drain that can happen over summer. I know I see that happen to my own kids when we just take 2 weeks off at Christmas. (I'm like, "Seriously? You ALREADY forgot how to tell time?!" LOL)

That theme thing sounds good for someone that does school through the summer. I think the brain drain is pretty normal for kids. Their brains are full of so many different things. I try not to stress out about it. LOL

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts