Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
aldmom0408
Cle or bju? (Piog)
March 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hi guys:) I am looking for an all inclusive curriculum for my 1st grade dd for next school year.We are currently using A beka but I believe that it is just moving too fast for her. I have heard that Christian light and bju have a similar scope and sequence as A beka but that they move at a more normal pace. Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these? Pros? Cons? Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I haven't used either but here is a bump!

• calimom1123
    March 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Ive used all 3. Dd started all abeka. We used cle for 1st grade and it was actually more advanced than abeka. When she went back to abeka she was a whole grade level ahead. This year for 4th she did bju. I really liked the calm thorough pace of bju. It seemed like it covered a wider variety of subjects. Cle was good but the lessons were long each day and took dd a long time to complete. I prefer bju if I have to pick one. The downfall is the price. Bju was about a grade level behind abeka for 4th grade but Im not sure about earlier grades. My dd just ended up doing bju 5 for 4th grade and did great.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Well, I can't do a complete comparison, since I've never used any of BJU; but I have used both aBeka and CLE math. I do know that CLE is every bit as advanced as aBeka for that subject. I prefer CLE.

I have not used CLE for history or science, but I have looked at a textbook for history. I think I prefer aBeka for that. It is also hard to beat aBeka for Health. I still buy that to use with our HOD curriculum. I am not a textbook fan, for most subjects. CLE is all workbooks or a combination of workbooks and textbooks. I think that could be tedious. aBeka has alot more color to it all around.

I prefer HOD (Heart of Dakota), myself.

• BramblePatch
    March 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM
    BJU is rewriting to accomidate CC. I was going to use their math but now refuse. I like the looks of CLE, but have not used it. If I had to use an all-in-one, I would go with HOD or My Fathers World. But alll-in-ones do not work for us.
  • Pukalani79
    March 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

CLE was good, but a lot of their stories, etc related to farm life/work and it was hard for my kids to relate to.  ACE is very similiar, but easier for my kids to relate to.  Price wise, CLE is hard to beat.

• aldmom0408
    March 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    Quoting BramblePatch:

BJU is rewriting to accomidate CC. I was going to use their math but now refuse. I like the looks of CLE, but have not used it. If I had to use an all-in-one, I would go with HOD or My Fathers World. But alll-in-ones do not work for us.

CC? Is that classical conversations? If so, I have heard of that but haven't done any research. What do you feel is wrong with it?
  • aldmom0408
    March 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
    Quoting lucsch:

Well, I can't do a complete comparison, since I've never used any of BJU; but I have used both aBeka and CLE math. I do know that CLE is every bit as advanced as aBeka for that subject. I prefer CLE.

I have not used CLE for history or science, but I have looked at a textbook for history. I think I prefer aBeka for that. It is also hard to beat aBeka for Health. I still buy that to use with our HOD curriculum. I am not a textbook fan, for most subjects. CLE is all workbooks or a combination of workbooks and textbooks. I think that could be tedious. aBeka has alot more color to it all around.

I prefer HOD (Heart of Dakota), myself.

What is it about hod that you love? I have used their writing program for my older child and while I believed it to be a good program, it just wasn't what we were looking for... I have not looked at the rest of the curriculum.
  • LostInLove2002
    March 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Oooo I'm interested too. 

My son does well and we use the dvd's but DANG it's fast. The math is killing him. I can' do the math as fast as these kids do. embarrassed mini

LOL! I just looked at what is supposed to be an 'embarassed' mini sweetpea... looks more like she's stifling a fart. Hahhaha. sorry.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

are you talking about christian light education?? or christian liberty education?

if its christian light

ive usd bits and pieces of both, and i like bju better! maybe its the workbooks that put us off! isnt the cle antibaptism(farms, etc) , but bju was more relaxing easy flow for the kds,

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

what about khan academy for math?? its on line videos?

laughing at your sweetpea!!!

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Oooo I'm interested too. 

My son does well and we use the dvd's but DANG it's fast. The math is killing him. I can' do the math as fast as these kids do. embarrassed mini

LOL! I just looked at what is supposed to be an 'embarassed' mini sweetpea... looks more like she's stifling a fart. Hahhaha. sorry.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts