Homeschooling Moms

BrittO2
School Room
by BrittO2
March 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

How do you set up your school room?

How do you organize everything?

What are some things that you see as "must haves" for your homeschooling?

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Some choose to set up a room or area much  like a public school room.  But when you home school, the whole world becomes your classroom.  For example:

The Conventional Method

The Conventional method used in Public Schools, and their mandated curriculum  is only left brain teaching (workbooks, flash cards, lectures, sit down at a desk work), and it it is effective for  about 45% of the kids.  The other 55% are like round pegs being forced into square wholes. This is particularly true with active children, hands on learners,  children with ADHD and those with learning disabilities.

Whole Brain Teaching

With whole brain teaching one reaches  all the learning styles so that about 90% o f  the children are learning. With this method , children learn faster, retain more,  stress is reduced (a major cause of learning disabilities), drop out rates decrease by 90%, brain health health is improved, and they love it.  Whole brain teaching simply means involving as many senses in the learning process as possible (games, play,  and real life experiences). It can be  easily done in the classroom. However home schooling lends itself to this method very easily, because when you home school, the whole world is  your classroom.  A trip to the grocery store becomes a lesson in weights, math, and reading.  My little brother was fascinated by monopoly which turned into a lesson in reading, math, and money counting. Building a fort or dollhouse  with your child   becomes a lesson in geometry, architecture, measuring, reading….Comprehension can be taught by play acting portions of what is being read. 

1.  How To Create Your Own Lesson Plans gives one a template so that you are sure to teach your objectives, and (2)  Grade Level Requirements gives you some direction for your objectives.

2.  Lesson Plans That Motivate also has some good ideas.
    Whole brain teaching is a lot easier than trying to force an active child to sit at a desk and do workbooks.

3. Ring Around The Phonics is an excellent way to teach  language arts, because it  involves the left and right brain (whole brain) in the learning process.

4.  Work Boxes (pictures included)

So it really depends on what method works for your child.  But I gave several examples that you can chose from, or mix and match if you like.

• hipmomto3
    March 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM
    We use our master bedroom as a school room, since it's the largest room aside from living room/kitchen, etc.

We have lots of shelves (which house books, kits, manipulatives, play doh, puzzles, binders, art supplies), a desk with computer, printer/scanner, a dining table with 4 chairs (I have 3 children), and a large easel. On the walls we have a world map, a USA map, and various kids' projects.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

long table for everyone and chairs(7 of us) computer table and chair, piano, book shelves for our books, me a file cabinet for all my loose hs stuff, nice cushy couch to lay all over while we read,

i organize everything in book shelves, file cabinet and kids each get a tub for there stuff on one of the book shelves

book shelves, file cabinet, table, well a couple tables, one to work at and one for science projects, microscope, paper cutter, comp., pencils and plenty of paper!

globes, atlases, reading books, rolls of very large newsprint, paints, colored pencils, crayons, markers, chalk board

• QueenCreole313
    March 25, 2013 at 10:43 AM

We float from room to room. We have a comouter, table, shelves, workbooks, books, index cards which i write the assignments for the day. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

We remodeled out dining room in to a computer room for easy access to our supplies & books. We use storage containers to hold craft supplies & shelves for the books & computer paper.

• twyliatepeka
    March 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    Our classroom is in our living room. I used to have a room just for it but that room had to get used as a bed room (unfortunately).
  • kirbymom
    March 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM

My kids use to use the kitchen table, the floor, their bed, the couch. But they found that they couldn't get as much done or concentrate as much as they needed to. So, we got them desks and computers. So it all depends on what seems to work for you. Sometimes that can change form moment to moment or year to year. :)  

• Walnutgrovefarm
    March 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

We use a huge table in the basement to spread out on. It's toasty warm down there in the winter months. Also lay around on the couch to read stories to each other.,

• maggiemom2000
    March 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

While we don't have a designated classroom, we do have an office where I store books and supplies, and we have desks with computers. The kids do a lot of independent work at the computer, but when we work as a group it is on the couch or at the kitchen table.

Must haves? We have a large magnetic white board on one wall we use a lot. Computers and a printer. Lots of books, paper, pens, etc. Small, individual white boards and dry erase markers. Workboxes. Laminator. Microscope.

I organize books and supplies by topic in magazine files (like all of the books and activities on US history is one topic). I have drawers with hands on activities like math games, dice, measuring tapes, geoboards, letter tiles, letter stamps etc. shelves with plastic shoeboxes hold manipulatives like pattern blocks and color tiles. 

• oahoah
    by oahoah
    March 26, 2013 at 1:22 AM

we started out with a cute school room but now 2 years later we are mostly just in the kitchen spread out all over the table. sometimes the living room & very rarely the "school room" which is kind of a shame because it is so cozy, my favorite room!  I do have to say though that "school stuff" is spread everywhere, I have bookshelves in all rooms and have not yet organized them, I have rolling carts in a hallway off kitchen but also in our master bedroom because it's roomier in there.  We lack living room space for a huge or even just 2 separate bookshelves strictly for school books.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts