Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
Mixing up grade levels
March 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Do you keep your child at one grade level for everything or differentiate depending on his/ her level? Also do you stay on the grade all year or move up when your child is ready even if it's the middle of the year?

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    March 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

This is my first year homeschooling, but I have quickly learned that grade levels are man-made tools used to compare children. It can be used as a source of competition. I did some review with my son when we first started our home academy. He is 10. He is at a 3rd "grade level" for math and an 8th "grade level" for reading comprehension. He is also "advanced" in science. I love that I am able to follow is lead without frustating him or myself. We advance each day. I am not too concerne with him being "behind" in math. Everyday he is learning something new and stregnthen his skills in all subjects. This is all that matters in our eyes.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

naaaa no grade levels here, i cant even remember how old each grade level is suppose to be!!

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I don't worry too much about grade level....I adjust my teaching to the child.  So one child might be below grade level on one subject, and above on another. 

• Bluecalm
    March 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Good, that's what I was planning to do, just mix things up as needed.
  • kttycat84
    March 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We mix it up. My 6 yo is working on 1st grade math, 2nd grade reading and social studies and 5th grade science. My younger ones aren't past k yet, but I'm pretty sure we'll do the same with them and just follow their lead.

• LostInLove2002
    March 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

So far our son is maintaining a balanced curriculum. However, if he advanced in one area over another I'd defnately move him on.  Same if he was struggling too much in a subject. I'd hold him back some.

• debramommyof4
    March 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

We differentiate and will move up as needed.  I still say she is in first grade but she gets her own curriculum.  Next year we will be starting with all 3rd grade work but she will still be a 2nd grader.  If it is to hard we will move back if it is to easy we will move forward.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

We just keep on moving along, roughly following the public school calendar but paying no attention to grade level materials. If anyone asks her grade, I say whatever is appropriate for her age.

My dd's best friend is a few months older than her. She is a grade level behind than my dd because she got held back in kindergarten at the private school she attends. My dd is probably years ahead of her in skills, but that doesn't matter to them. School levels are insignificant in the long run.

• Leissaintexas
    March 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

My youngest is better at math than his older sister, but she is several "grade levels" ahead in reading and spelling, so to keep them from feeling competitive with each other, I do not go by grade levels. Most of the time, when my kids are asked, they can't remember what grade they are in! I just do what feels right for them and move on when they are able. No time constraints or pressure, or ps expectations, just educating each kid  as they need it.

• twyliatepeka
    March 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    So far we don't really worry about grade levels, at least for my youngest anyway.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts