Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mommynay2
Just curious, I have 2 questions.
March 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Does anyone in here do makeup days? Does anyone test? I do makeup days occasionally, depending on the circumstance. If life happens and have appointments and couldn't find a way to do any academics then I do makeup days. If it is from sickness then I don't do makeup days. Now as far as testing goes, I don't generally test, I only test how fast she reads. When we cover something, I just ask basic questions to see if she understands it.

Replies

• Precious333
    March 24, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    We are apart of a charter, so theybhave a test twice a year and i also keep attendance and do make up days. Even if we did just a littlw that day i still count it as us being in school, field trips count too. We have to do a min of 4 days a week, besides holidays.
  • Pukalani79
    March 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

We just go as we go.  If we miss for whatever reason, we just pick up where we left off the next day.  I try not to stress too much about being behind.  I don't generally test.  Sometimes I'll do spelling tests, but for the most part I can see how they're doing through the week.  I know what they're getting and what they haven't quite figured out.  I will ask them to tell me about their history or their science before we move on, but I don't usually test.  They do have to do OAKS testing for the state every so often, and one of their online programs does quizzes but that's typically it.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM

hi mommynay, i do the question thing to make sure they are reading and understanding it also at times, but ive never done a makeup day, if we miss one we just do the work the next day, (i plan a week at a time)

• bluerooffarm
    March 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We need 180 days for our state, so we work until we get there.  I've never considered it a make up day per se.  We just take off when we need to, but make sure it comes to 180 by the end.  I test a bit, but mostly I know when they know their stuff.  They'll use their vocabulary words sometimes just randomly or I'll ask them a question or two.  I've found it difficult to come up with tests because I keep thinking "I already know that they know this, so what's the point?"  I give them pretests.  For me those are easy to make up because it's what I'm curious to see what they know.

• Rust.n.Gears
    March 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    We school year round so there is lots of room for days off. We never test.
  • kttycat84
    March 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM

We don't have a set school schedule. We do something educational almost every day, year round, so no need for makeup days. We're as likely to be gathered around the books on Saturday afternoons as we are on Mondays. That may change as they get older, I haven't decided yet, lol.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM

We just count 180 days per school year. So, I guess we do makeup days, but we don't label them as such. We don't do tests--at all. We are finishing up our 6th year of homeschooling.

• No_Difference
    March 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

We do tests on math and science, but only because they come with the curricula we use. As for make up days - not really... We just do school as we go.

• TxMommyOfBoys
    March 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM
    Us too.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

We school year round so there is lots of room for days off. We never test.
  • hipmomto3
    March 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM

We don't do overall testing. I only test my oldest (4th grade) and only in Spelling once a week (more of a 'quiz' really) and in math periodically - a speed test for drillwork just to keep her sharp on stuff. I never test my K and 1st students though. We read things, talk about them afterwards to make sure they understand.

If we miss a day due to crazy happenings or illness, we do make it up, but not right away. Like I don't make them do school on a Saturday. We just tack it on to the end of the year. I don't keep our school year mapped out for the whole 180 days at once - usually 4 weeks at a time is planned - so I have room to be flexible and carry things over if we need to.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN