Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
What's so bad about common core?
March 22, 2013 at 9:00 PM

What's so bad about common core? Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here but can someone please explain it to me? When I think of there being national standards for education across state lines I do see a benefit. If my child is in a public school and we move across the country in the middle of the year, at least they will be learning the same material right? Or is what's happening totally different?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    March 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Federal curriculum? Meh. Not a fan of the idea. The government can't even compromise (or keep) on a budget; I'm not a fan of them having their hand in schools. On any level.

As for the standards then being the same across the board, in all states...

There isn't a consensus on that yet. I've read that the states adopting CCS must only meet those new standards - but are free to EXCEED them too, which would still leave children moving to a different state at a disadvantage.

Other than that, adopting them isn't mandatory and not all states have adopted them. Many/most private schools aren't adopting them.

• Pukalani79
    March 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM

That's my understanding as well, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'm going to have to look into it.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

When I think of there being national standards for education across state lines I do see a benefit. If my child is in a public school and we move across the country in the middle of the year, at least they will be learning the same material right?

• QueenCreole313
    March 23, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I've reviewed the common core website. I just don't see the big deal. Honestly, I think my state exceeds them already. I think most homeschoolers would exceed those standards as well. It's not very difficult in my oppinion. 

I guess I'm biased because of my life experience. I moved from a state in the south with the lowest educational standards and performance to a northern state with a totally different standar. It was hard! 

Oh, the states are still free to teach how they want and choose their curriculum. Just the goals are becoming more consistent. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

The beauty about homeschooling is you get to decide.  If you like Common Core and it works for your child, then go for it. We will not judge you for making your best choice. 

But many of us  do not like being forced into a one size fits all approach, and it is one of the major reasons many parents took their child out of the P.S. system. One size fits all does not work for about 55% of the kids.  That is why home educated children outperform P.S. children on ACT and in College...We can adjust teaching to the child's learning style instead of forcing round pegs into square holes.

Home School Legal Defense Association  explains  why they are against Common Core in the Following Article.  HSLDA On Common Core

I am sure you would not judge us, and want to force us into something not good for our children. ...right?

• QueenCreole313
    March 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I never said I would judge anyone. Just trying to understand. Since most of us homeschool anyway. I didn't think Common Core would affect us, unless we lived in a state that required testing of some sort. Maybe I'm wrong. I think everyone should do what works for them. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I am glad you agree that we all should be allowed to choose what is best for our children, and not be forced by a State, the Federal government, The U.N.,  or anyone (for that matter)  into doing what is not in the best interest of our children.  I just knew you would be supportive of those who do not want Common Core for our kids, and supportive of those who do.  Home School is great isn't it?

• QueenCreole313
    March 23, 2013 at 8:43 AM

BEST decision ever. I think more people would homeschool if they knew about it. 

• somuchlove4U
    March 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    Part of my reason for not liking it is what the standards are. Example for literature they are taking away a lot of the great reads like Shakespeare and replacing it with manuals.
  • QueenCreole313
    March 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Manuals? That's boring! 

• IntlMom12
    March 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Have you watched the video I posted about it? It is long, but worth watching if you can find the time. Here are my problems with it:

1.  Taking out the "classic" literature like Huckleberry Finn

2.  Eliminating important American history like teaching what the Gettysburg Address says

3.  Putting our students WAY behind students in other countries in math

4.  The fact that we are losing our FREEDOM to teach the children the way that will help the child

5.  The children's whole lives will be tracked including health care histories, income, religious affiliation, voting status, blood types, and even homework completion. That is NOT OK with me.

Anyway, those are the top reasons for me, but I encourage you to watch this video and decide for yourself.

http://truthinamericaneducation.com/common-core-state-standards/full-glenn-beck-show-on-common-core/

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts