Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
No_Difference
Real Science 4 Kids - Love/Hate it
March 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM

For anyone who has used it , do you love it or hate it and why??

We've used it all this year and for the most part, have loved it. She flew through chemistry, we're just finishing physics, and we'll "end" our year with biology. With chemistry, she knew more about polymers than her uncle in highschool studying about the same thing! She grasps everything so easily, and loves how fun and colorful the lessons are presented, wich makes me love it.
One of the reasons we got this was because of the labs which we like doing BUT I do not like the parent's manual. I absolutely hate the "answers may vary" responses... I suck so badly at science, and if she can't answer the more critical thinking questions, I have  an extremely hard time explaining it to her so she can come up with an answer. A sample answer would be better than jst "answers may vary."  I have hubby attempt to help explain the whys but he gets TOO detailed, and she comes out just as confused and overwhelmed as if I attempted to explain it....

Becase of that part, I'm considering switching science programs.. Is there a different secular sci curriculum at comparable cost where the teacher/parent manual is a little more detailed??    I don't want to get too used to using this one, only for it to get harder, and the parent manual to be just as vague and we're all at a total loss....

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I've never used it. I know I will need to get a program for 7th grade though so I'm interested in what everyone will say.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

We don't use anything like that.

• AutymsMommy
    March 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I thought it was too "lite" and ridiculously priced considering each unit (with text, tm, and lab manual) lasting only about 10 weeks.

• AutymsMommy
    March 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Ellen McHenry. I really can't recommend her materials enough. They're fantastic - all of them.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

love it!!!! because we could do it all together and very hands on!! ive only done the chemistry one, with all the ages

• No_Difference
    March 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I was under the impression that each was 10 weeks too and that's how we played it out this year, but reading through the physics and biology's lesson plans I was able to download with the last order, they have it set up as 20 weeks, and they have an outline where they now break it down to what is recommended to do days 1-5 on each week.
    For instance with physics:
    Week 1
    Day 1: read the chapter
    Day 2: lab
    Day 3: discuss vocab words
    Day 4: break
    Day 5: Review
    Week 2
    Day 1: Pick a section from the chapter and go into it further by researching more material (pretty vague...but okay...)
    Day 2: Discuss the lab results and repeat the experiment if necessary (we've had to do that a few times anyway)
    Day 3: Delve into the history of "physics"
    Day 4: "draw gravity" or other inquiry exercises
    Day 5: Exam
    This way each chapter takes 2 weeks, and you go into it a little more...
    If we keep using it, this is how I'll go at it next year and then maybe I'll even be able to understand some of the answers to the labs lol.

I don't go out of my way to avoid or to purposefully buy Common Core things, but it looks like they may have altered some of it slightly to align with the National Science Standards, and then at the end of each week chapter it states what standards are applied...

I'm not big on the price either for what is given...and I guess that's why I would've expected the parent's/teacher's manual to be a little more than what it is... I hope the Level 2 stuff is more detailed...

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I thought it was too "lite" and ridiculously priced considering each unit (with text, tm, and lab manual) lasting only about 10 weeks.

• No_Difference
    March 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I love how hands on it is too and that it does work for multiple ages all at once!
    For the labs, was there at any point in time where it was hard to help with the critical thinking questions though?
    Science is really not my strong suit and I definitly fell through the cracks in school when it came to almost all of my science classes... I actually learned more about chemistry while we were doing it than I did taking it in highschool! LOL. I don't know if it's just at too basic of a level for me to be able to explain what she's doing with physics right now... We still have to go through biology yet this yr, so we'll see how it goes!

Quoting oredeb:

love it!!!! because we could do it all together and very hands on!! ive only done the chemistry one, with all the ages

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM

no we didnt have any problems with the critical thinking questions, the kids were so interested in the idea that we were learning chemitry that they were really into it, completing their lab work each time, the younger kids did their best with tht part also, i paired them with one of their brothers or sisters so that helped a lot, and i enjoy science so didnt have any problems but we did want it to be longer!!

this was a few years ago and the kids still go around quoting thing from it and correcting each other and saying remember when we did that experiment!

hahahah if there was anything i didnt understand i had one of the older kids look it up and explain it to us, i even learned a lot, i didnt have chemistry in school,

after that chemistry lessons the next year i did a baking class , learning why baking soda, yeast, etc worked in food , we again did lots of experiments, using 2 items to make something eatable with, and the chemistry we did the year before helped a lot!

Quoting No_Difference:

I love how hands on it is too and that it does work for multiple ages all at once!
    For the labs, was there at any point in time where it was hard to help with the critical thinking questions though?
    Science is really not my strong suit and I definitly fell through the cracks in school when it came to almost all of my science classes... I actually learned more about chemistry while we were doing it than I did taking it in highschool! LOL. I don't know if it's just at too basic of a level for me to be able to explain what she's doing with physics right now... We still have to go through biology yet this yr, so we'll see how it goes!

Quoting oredeb:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN