Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
BramblePatch
Favorite Kindergarten Math???
March 22, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I am still torn over where to go with Molly. She will be 5. Numbers are not her strong point. She can only count to 20. She only recognizes numbers throught 10. She knows all her shapes and colors. She knows bigger/smaller, taller/shorter, same/different, etc, She can add and subtract with manipulatives easily... She has fine motor delays and, as a result, hates writing. She can trace numbers but does not yet write all numbers on her own. Ideas?

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    That's tough, both my girls went to PS so I had no say in how they were taught. I just bought Math Mammoth for my 5th grader who is struggling with mulitplication. That site gives you a test for your chiild and you can then figure out what work book to use. Since you know what her weak spots are you might not need to do the test but it's free and it is helpful. Other than that I'm no help. http://www.mathmammoth.com/ Click on the "free math assessment link"
  • blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM

http://www.mathmammoth.com/ 

finally got the page to load right so I could make it clicky!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

what about practising air writing, or sand writing, stick writing, making it fun as you go about it

what helped some of my kids is i had them hammer nails, also taught them cursive before printing

math- just keep going with the manipulatives and such, math might not be her strong point, again it was that way with some of my kids, we started doing the manipulatives, short lessons, and went on with rod and staff workbooks for math then in 4th grade used saxon and they seemed to get math better then, or put up with it!hahahaha but saxon took them all the way through high school. i didnt have them do full lessons, just odds and evens in the lessons,

also we used hands on cooking and baking for math, measuring to build bird houses, raised beds, etc any hands on math stuff they seemed to like it a lot and learn better. does she lilke to draw?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN