Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
AutymsMommy
OT: Easter and my block obsessed kiddo (opinions appreciated!)
March 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My son (age 3) is obsessed with building. He has archiquest blocks, jenga blocks (that he uses to build with), regular blocks, angry bird building sets.. baskets and baskets (and buckets and plats) filled with building supplies.

He DOES use them. He often spends AT LEAST 6-7 hours a day building castles, houses, platforms, etc. He's ridiculously good at building. His blocks are all well loved, cared for, and very used. It isn't as though he collects them and does nothing with them. As a matter of fact, I had to move most of his regular toys out of his room to make room for his building sets.

I purchased a playmobile set with for Easter... BUT, he has his heart set on that the Easter Bunny is bringing him another set of archiquest blocks. I can easily set aside the playmobile set for another holiday and get the archiquest blocks, but I kind of wondered if I should help him to broaden his interests a bit more (so to speak).

What say you ladies?

Replies

• coala
    by coala
    March 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I say if he loves blocks and building try moving onto something like Lego's, K'nex, Tinker Toys or even Magnetix (these are the more expensive of the list).  My girls now have an affinity for Lego's since we introduced them at Christmas.  Just something to think about.   They have small boxes of Lego type bricks at Dollar Tree that say they are compatible with other brands.  I haven't tried them, but I would be willing to spend a dollar to see if they work.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Quoting coala:

I say if he loves blocks and building try moving onto something like Lego's, K'nex, Tinker Toys or even Magnetix (these are the more expensive of the list).  My girls now have an affinity for Lego's since we introduced them at Christmas.  Just something to think about.   They have small boxes of Lego type bricks at Dollar Tree that say they are compatible with other brands.  I haven't tried them, but I would be willing to spend a dollar to see if they work.

They don't work we just got 2 boxes to day & they don't work with my kids Legos.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I would get him what he is looking forward to getting.

• coala
    by coala
    March 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Thanks!!!!  I won't waste my dollar.  LOL  I did buy other stuff from there for my kids baskets though.  Can't go wrong with sidewalk chalk.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting coala:

They don't work we just got 2 boxes to day & they don't work with my kids Legos.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yeah I wish I had left them on the shelf & had them pick something else, I was trying to make up for the fact that we couldn't play at the park because of a dust storm.

Quoting coala:

Thanks!!!!  I won't waste my dollar.  LOL  I did buy other stuff from there for my kids baskets though.  Can't go wrong with sidewalk chalk.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting coala:

• AutymsMommy
    March 21, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Oh we have legos... lol. I'm trying to keep those to a minimum for two reasons:

1) he thinks it's cool to stick them up his nose

2) he can't keep his building supplies confined to one room and with an infant in the home as well, it's imperative that they do stay out of the main living spaces, lol

Quoting coala:

• coala
    by coala
    March 21, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Daddy went all OCD after Christmas.  He wouldn't let them play with them for a week.  We had to have a rug for the living room to play on and we had to have proper storage for them.  He got something from Lowe's and sorted ALL pieces by type and they kids keep them this way.  It is hysterical to watch them put them all away.  I haven't found any in strange places in my house. 

I completely understand the not wanting them with having an infant in the house.....they eat everything at that age.  LOL

Quoting AutymsMommy:

2) he can't keep his building supplies confined to one room and with an infant in the home as well, it's imperative that they do stay out of the main living spaces, lol

Quoting coala:

• hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    March 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I'm the one who went all OCD, and my kids STILL don't put them away in their incredibly awesome storage boxes.  I think those boxes are empty, with the separation sliders yanked out and thrown all over the house along with the Legos.  :(

Quoting coala:

Daddy went all OCD after Christmas.  He wouldn't let them play with them for a week.  We had to have a rug for the living room to play on and we had to have proper storage for them.  He got something from Lowe's and sorted ALL pieces by type and they kids keep them this way.  It is hysterical to watch them put them all away.  I haven't found any in strange places in my house. 

I completely understand the not wanting them with having an infant in the house.....they eat everything at that age.  LOL

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting coala:

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM

ohhh get him the archiquest blocks!!! is he interested in geometric drawing?or those plastic shape things you put together, lets see geometric thingys! i cant remember what they are called!!!

my nephew(homeschooled) was the same way your son is, building every thing, when he got older he was very very interested into the geometric drawing of things(i think its called) guess what he grew up to be? an architect! and works in colorado

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts