Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Bluecalm
My son's ps teacher wants a conference about homeschooling
March 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM
D is finishing up his Kindergarten year and the teacher asked for a conference. She's doing meetings with all the parents regarding placement for next year, so I said no, it wasn't necessary since he is going to be homeschooled. She cornered me at the Easter party today to say she knew he wouldn't be in ps, but she wants to discuss with me my hs plans and hear what she thinks he needs to be doing, not just academically but socially. I was pretty taken aback. It's one thing for her to tell me what levels he's on, but to want to know all the details about me homeschooling seems intrusive.

Replies

• mamabens
    March 21, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Wow! I'd tell her I'd be happy to hear what levels he's on but  your homeschooling plans is not of her concern & you don't need to hear her opinions on homeschooling.  I'd go into the meeting and just change the subject when she asks what your plans are because it isn't any of her business.

• QueenCreole313
    March 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    She needs to mind her own business.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    If you lived in Texas she would be breaking the law. She might be breaking it still depending on the way your state laws are written.
  • Bluecalm
    March 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    How is it written in Tx that says that's illegal?

Quoting usmom3:

If you lived in Texas she would be breaking the law. She might be breaking it still depending on the way your state laws are written.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

She is a representative of the school district because she is an employee of it & there for has no legal rights to question you about homeschooling your child. The way the law is written & the way I understand it, is that no one can question your method or intent without accusing you of doing something wrong & they have to have proof that you have done something wrong to be accusing you which would validate their questioning of you. There for she is violating your rights as a homeschooler & that is an offenceto you & a violation of the homeschool laws. 

I hope that all made sense. 

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting usmom3:

• Knightquester
    March 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I wouldn't do a meeting with her as it's a waste of time.  It's her chance to talk you into not homeschooling or into doing it her way.  I'm sorry you've got the nosey type of teacher for your son, when I pulled my children out I was told how wonderful they would do and what a positive experience it would be by their past teachers.

I'm not the type to go to pointless meetings and wasting the time of all involved, and I would've probably said it just that way when the teacher cornered me.

If you have already got an appointment planned with her I'd just call the schools office during the school day and leave a message for your sons teacher that you're canceling the meeting as it's not necessary, or write a note to send to school with your son stating such but not going into detail, as again details aren't necessary.

When she corners or asks you again, which I'm sure will happen I would just inform her that although you're grateful your son has had a wonderful school year with her, you're not inclined to involve her in your son's future schooling as he is moving onto other grades and other things that do not involve her.

If she is insistent then you can let her know she has no right to question your decisions on your sons schooling and if she wishes continue harassing you on the matter then maybe it would be best you involve the principle and school board.

• ablessedlife
    March 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    I completely agree.
    Academics is her area and you've decided you don't need her services anymore. Socialization is YOUR area. She needs to butt out!
    Quoting Knightquester:

I wouldn't do a meeting with her as it's a waste of time.  It's her chance to talk you into not homeschooling or into doing it her way.  I'm sorry you've got the nosey type of teacher for your son, when I pulled my children out I was told how wonderful they would do and what a positive experience it would be by their past teachers.

I'm not the type to go to pointless meetings and wasting the time of all involved, and I would've probably said it just that way when the teacher cornered me.

If you have already got an appointment planned with her I'd just call the schools office during the school day and leave a message for your sons teacher that you're canceling the meeting as it's not necessary, or write a note to send to school with your son stating such but not going into detail, as again details aren't necessary.

When she corners or asks you again, which I'm sure will happen I would just inform her that although you're grateful your son has had a wonderful school year with her, you're not inclined to involve her in your son's future schooling as he is moving onto other grades and other things that do not involve her.

If she is insistent then you can let her know she has no right to question your decisions on your sons schooling and if she wishes continue harassing you on the matter then maybe it would be best you involve the principle and school board.

• Bluecalm
    March 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    Thanks. I'll have to look up Louisiana law.

Quoting usmom3:

She is a representative of the school district because she is an employee of it & there for has no legal rights to question you about homeschooling your child. The way the law is written & the way I understand it, is that no one can question your method or intent without accusing you of doing something wrong & they have to have proof that you have done something wrong to be accusing you which would validate their questioning of you. There for she is violating your rights as a homeschooler & that is an offenceto you & a violation of the homeschool laws. 

I hope that all made sense. 

Quoting Bluecalm:

Quoting usmom3:

• Bluecalm
    March 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    I didn't make an appointment and she just said sometime before school ends. What's really crazy is I am retiring after teaching for 30 years. So it's kind of insulting that she thinks I can't handle educating my son after educating 1000+ kids.

Quoting Knightquester:

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

LOL Does she know you are a retired teacher?

Quoting Bluecalm:

I didn't make an appointment and she just said sometime before school ends. What's really crazy is I am retiring after teaching for 30 years. So it's kind of insulting that she thinks I can't handle educating my son after educating 1000+ kids.

Quoting Knightquester:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts