Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Pukalani79
Math tricks and tips?
March 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Anyone have any tricks or tips on teaching multiplication tables and renaming in subtraction? My girls are struggling with these.

Replies

• blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I'm right there with you! My 10 year old is struggling with multiplication. She knows how to do it but she does not know her facts so she uses tally marks or her fingers and it take her forever to get the work done.  I just ordered the Math Mammoth, hoping that will help her get on track.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM

heres some

The 9 Times Quickie

1. Hold your hands in front of you with your fingers spread out.
    2. For 9 X 3 bend your third finger down. (9 X 4 would be the fourth finger etc.)
    3. You have 2 fingers in front of the bent finger and 7 after the bent finger.
    4. Thus the answer must be 27.
    5. This technique works for the 9 times tables up to 10.

The 4 Times Quickie

1. If you know how to double a number, this one is easy.
    2. Simply, double a number and then double it again!

The 11 Times Rule #1

1. Take any number to 10 and multiply it by 11.
    2. Multiply 11 by 3 to get 33, multiply 11 by 4 to get 44. Each number to 10 is just duplicated.

The 11 Times Rule #2

1. Use this strategy for two digit numbers only.
    2. Multiply 11 by 18. Jot down 1 and 8 with a space between it. 1 --8.
    3. Add the 8 and the 1 and put that number in the middle: 198

Deck 'Em!

1. Use a deck of playing cards for a game of Multiplication War.
    2. Initially, children may need the grid (below) to become quick at the answers.
    3. Flip over the cards as though you are playing Snap.
    4. The first one to say the fact based on the cards turned over (a four and a five = Say "20") gets the cards.
    5. The person to get all of the cards wins!
    6. Children learn their facts much more quickly when playing this game on a regular basis.

Seeing the Patterns

1. Use a multiplication grid or let your students/children create one.
    2. Look carefully at all of the patterns, especially when the numbers correspond with the facts e.g., 7X8 and 8X7 = 56
    3. Let students/children practice the 'fast adding' which is what multiplication is.
    4. When students can count by 3s, 4s, 5s 6s, etc. they will automatically know their multiplication tables.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM

also we play a game where we have to turn over matching answers to times tables or subtraction problems, kids get prizes

this might be the same as above but better said!

http://www.mathsisfun.com/multiplication-tips-tricks.html

heres a site  i used for subtraction help   http://www.ricksmath.com/subtips.html

• momtomiles
    March 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Here's a trick for the 9s. Hold both hands palms down with fingers spread apart. Always start with pinky on left hand. Lets try 9x4. Count over to 4 and put that finger down(index finger) the fingers to the left are the 10s (so 30), the fingers to the right of the one put down are the ones (so 6). Answer is 36.
    9x8= count over 8 ( should be on middle finger on right hand) so 7 tens and 2 ones, answer is 72:) hope that makes sense. That helped my 4th graders
  • blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I think that one will help us for sure! It even has a link for worksheet and tests. This is great! Thanks.

Quoting oredeb:

also we play a game where we have to turn over matching answers to times tables or subtraction problems, kids get prizes

this might be the same as above but better said!

http://www.mathsisfun.com/multiplication-tips-tricks.html

heres a site  i used for subtraction help   http://www.ricksmath.com/subtips.html

• motheroffour186
    March 25, 2013 at 10:40 AM
    Games ,reading books, blocks multiplaction rock(movie)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN