Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Okay, I need some advice from the outside. Come help me!
by mem82
March 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Okay, Missie (11) is doing awesome in Math. We are in Pre Algebra and should be starting Algebra somewhere around October. Here is the thing. She can do the problems fine. She can use the formulas, she can understand what she is supposed to be doing. Where she fails is at the simple multiplication and long division. She KNOWS how to do that, too. I don't know whether she gets distracted or lazy or what. Here is an example.

We are doing Ratios right now. She has been able (by that I mean, we have studied them and she understands how to work the problems and does the set up perfectly fine) to do them and Proportions for a week. The problem I run into is that she is doing the problem right but multiplying wrong. Not in a 'she doesn't know her multiplication tables' kind of way. She just...zones out or something. Today, (just like the 3 days before this) Missie does the first 7 problems completely right. Then, she makes simple mistakes on the next 4. As in she went to divide 10 into 120 and answered 7. The next problem is that she wrote a little sloppy and did the subtraction in the long division wrong because she didn't read it right. These are failing grades because of stupid errors. She CAN do it. She WANTS to do it. She just keeps doing stupid things. I'm going to go nuts!

This has held us up this entire year. These same darn little mistakes. We went BACK and relearned multiplication just to make sure she understood it. She does.

I don't know what to do. What would you guys do? Should I keep moving her forward because she knows HOW to do it? Should I make her get a passing grade before moving on? I am seriously at the end of my rope.

Replies

• kirbymom
    March 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

OMG mem! I know how you feel! I have gone through this multiple times with my kids. Sometimes you just don't know if they are just being stubborn or not. Well, just from what I have read here, it sounds like Missie is having processing problems. Her issue is how her brain processes what she is seeing. I know, because I have the same thing. I also have a mild to terrible case of dyslexia, which is also a brain processing issue. What you need to do is find out how she sees the problem bytalking the problem through from the beginning to the end. Discuss the problem at legnth form different angles. If the problem can be written several different ways, then write down those different ways and talk it through. She will let you know what is up by how she tells you what she is seeing and what she interprets what she is seeing. Then, from that, you can write a lesson based on the answers she gives you and you will then be able to compare the two different ways that her math has been presented to her. Then you can do the same thing with the rest of her subjects and do any adjustment needed.  

Quoting mem82:

Okay, Missie (11) is doing awesome in Math. We are in Pre Algebra and should be starting Algebra somewhere around October. Here is the thing. She can do the problems fine. She can use the formulas, she can understand what she is supposed to be doing. Where she fails is at the simple multiplication and long division. She KNOWS how to do that, too. I don't know whether she gets distracted or lazy or what. Here is an example.

We are doing Ratios right now. She has been able (by that I mean, we have studied them and she understands how to work the problems and does the set up perfectly fine) to do them and Proportions for a week. The problem I run into is that she is doing the problem right but multiplying wrong. Not in a 'she doesn't know her multiplication tables' kind of way. She just...zones out or something. Today, (just like the 3 days before this) Missie does the first 7 problems completely right. Then, she makes simple mistakes on the next 4. As in she went to divide 10 into 120 and answered 7. The next problem is that she wrote a little sloppy and did the subtraction in the long division wrong because she didn't read it right. These are failing grades because of stupid errors. She CAN do it. She WANTS to do it. She just keeps doing stupid things. I'm going to go nuts!

This has held us up this entire year. These same darn little mistakes. We went BACK and relearned multiplication just to make sure she understood it. She does.

I don't know what to do. What would you guys do? Should I keep moving her forward because she knows HOW to do it? Should I make her get a passing grade before moving on? I am seriously at the end of my rope.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

If she understands it I would move on.

• Jinx-Troublex3
    March 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    It sounds like a lil bit of "inattentive ADD".. I have issues with that as does my middle DS.

He is worse than me and loses focus after about 10 min then he needs to stand up, move around, get a drink and refocus.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    March 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I would say she sounds like she is getting bored with them. She showed she knew how to do it with the first 7, but then got bored and did it just to get it done.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Thanks 8)

I don't think it is processing, though, just because she can explain, and do it. She UNDERSTANDS, she just gets the little details wrong after a few problems. 8(

Quoting kirbymom:

OMG mem! I know how you feel! I have gone through this multiple times with my kids. Sometimes you just don't know if they are just being stubborn or not. Well, just from what I have read here, it sounds like Missie is having processing problems. Her issue is how her brain processes what she is seeing. I know, because I have the same thing. I also have a mild to terrible case of dyslexia, which is also a brain processing issue. What you need to do is find out how she sees the problem bytalking the problem through from the beginning to the end. Discuss the problem at legnth form different angles. If the problem can be written several different ways, then write down those different ways and talk it through. She will let you know what is up by how she tells you what she is seeing and what she interprets what she is seeing. Then, from that, you can write a lesson based on the answers she gives you and you will then be able to compare the two different ways that her math has been presented to her. Then you can do the same thing with the rest of her subjects and do any adjustment needed.  

Quoting mem82:

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I want to move on, but I'm afraid that if she doesn't have a strong base she won't do well in her high Math.

Quoting usmom3:

If she understands it I would move on.

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I'm right there with you...kind of. I am starting over with the multiplication. She knows how to do it but she just doesn't have the facts down so she uses her hands or she uses tally marks so it takes her forever. I just ordered the Math Mammoth, hoping it helps her.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Not to sound stupid, but I don't think it can be ADD. She can read for hours and can also crochet for long periods of time completely focused. I don't know that much about ADD, honestly.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

It sounds like a lil bit of "inattentive ADD".. I have issues with that as does my middle DS.

He is worse than me and loses focus after about 10 min then he needs to stand up, move around, get a drink and refocus.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Yes, but now that she is getting older I feel like she should be able to do 12 problems. In school, she would be expected to do 3 times that many. If she did two worksheets with a passing grade I would feel okay moving her on.

Quoting Dawn07:

I would say she sounds like she is getting bored with them. She showed she knew how to do it with the first 7, but then got bored and did it just to get it done.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Good luck! 8)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm right there with you...kind of. I am starting over with the multiplication. She knows how to do it but she just doesn't have the facts down so she uses her hands or she uses tally marks so it takes her forever. I just ordered the Math Mammoth, hoping it helps her.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN