Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
Are you starting to feel pressure to get your curriculum finished for the year?
by mem82
March 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Does the approaching summer make you feel like you need to pick up the pace?

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    I checked. You dont have to test. You can have a review. Have you considered the option?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wish I lived where you do! I'm in NY. I have to send in quarterly reports, and the kids have to take the state test at the end of the year. It really sucks because we can't do what we want to do because we have to make sure we cover what will be on that test or else they won't do good and then that reflex bad on me and then who knows what they will do!

Quoting rsrangel:

We don't follow the curriculums pace, we follow each kids pace. So if they get ahead I'll go ahead and get the next level in that subject. If they get behind then we slow down. We don't have to keep portfolios, take any tests or do evaluations, so not feeling any pressure here! Just going with the flow, getting out to enjoy our beautiful weather as much as we can, and loving life!

• No_Difference
    March 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

A little. We've gotten so far behind and with the start of summer being super busy and the end of our summer so uncertain, I really want to get the year wrapped up...

• blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don't think so, I've never read anything about having that option. I have a call into the school, I'll ask her if she ever calls back.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Does NY have a portfolio option?

• blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Sorry I didn't see this reply until after I replied to your other post. Fill me in please, do you have the link you checked out?

Quoting mem82:

I checked. You dont have to test. You can have a review. Have you considered the option?

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wish I lived where you do! I'm in NY. I have to send in quarterly reports, and the kids have to take the state test at the end of the year. It really sucks because we can't do what we want to do because we have to make sure we cover what will be on that test or else they won't do good and then that reflex bad on me and then who knows what they will do!

Quoting rsrangel:

We don't follow the curriculums pace, we follow each kids pace. So if they get ahead I'll go ahead and get the next level in that subject. If they get behind then we slow down. We don't have to keep portfolios, take any tests or do evaluations, so not feeling any pressure here! Just going with the flow, getting out to enjoy our beautiful weather as much as we can, and loving life!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    Quoting blueyedbaker:

Sure, let me find the link. The Cliffnotes version is that you can have a teacher or reviewer look over a portfolio and talk to the child. Ohio has the same thing. I have an unschooler e friend in NY and they never test.
  • blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Seriously that would be so cool! Thanks for checking it out!!!

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Sure, let me find the link. The Cliffnotes version is that you can have a teacher or reviewer look over a portfolio and talk to the child. Ohio has the same thing. I have an unschooler e friend in NY and they never test.

• Rust.n.Gears
    March 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    Nope. We school year round and do not stick to a standard curriculum.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    March 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    I'm on mobile so bare with me. Look under where it says new york homeschool regulations. It is called the narrative option, section 2 of the annual review section.
    New York Homeschool Educators Network (nyhen)
    www.nyhen.org/index.htm

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Sorry I didn't see this reply until after I replied to your other post. Fill me in please, do you have the link you checked out?

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting rsrangel:

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    Blue eyed baker- I know that it says grades four to eight can do this instead of tests every other year. Third grade and under can do reviews every year.hope that helps a bit.
  • blueyedbaker
    March 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM

That's really neat. So this is what you do? How do you go about getting everything ready, what do you do?

Quoting mem82:

I'm on mobile so bare with me. Look under where it says new york homeschool regulations. It is called the narrative option, section 2 of the annual review section.
    New York Homeschool Educators Network (nyhen)
    www.nyhen.org/index.htm

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Quoting rsrangel:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN