Homeschooling Moms

IntlMom12
Netflix for homeschool?
March 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I have heard of people using Netflix to supplement their home educating. Do you do that? What shows do you watch? We have the streaming plan and my boys are 5 and 6. Thanks!

Replies

• paris2lmp
    March 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I've used Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go for spanish lessons, and varied documentaries for different things.  TedTalks for Kids is fun for "filler" when I want something quick but educational (they are about 15-20 min ea at the most)  Also, on occasion, if there is a movie based on a book we have read then I will have them watch the movie and point out the differences/similarities.  We stream Netflix through our wii, which also has a YouTube channel now, so I will occasionally use YouTube instead.  It depends on the subject we are working on.

• blueyedbaker
    March 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Never heard of doing that (we don't have Netflix though so it wouldn't help me). We get books from the library for Science and History to fill in where needed.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM

MYTHBUSTERS!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My kids like the animal planet and nature shows, too.

• WantedNameTaken
    March 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We use it for documentaries and movies that are based on novels.

• DesireMM
    March 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM

We use it for documentaries and nature shows. The kids and I went through the shows to find ones they liked and then built lesson plans to go along with the videos.

• bluerooffarm
    March 21, 2013 at 10:58 AM

We watched The entire Walking With Dinosaurs series, Zave watched the documentary The Dark Ages, and we're looking into the food documentaries for our Health and Nutrition units later.  DH and I make sure that we pre-view everything because some stuff is inappropriate for our age groups (4, 6, and almost 8)

• Leissaintexas
    March 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Mythbusters my ds's favorite right now, but he also enjoys military docs and anything survival related. We've used a lot of PBS docs and some of the History Channel ones. Its easier now since my kids are older, I'm not having to filter as much material now. There is a lot more to choose from now. Its hard to find science-themed ones that teach from a Creationist standpoint, so we just kind of avoid the science ones. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    We don't get streaming but we get DVD in the mail & yes we rent educational ones when we see ones that interest us.
  • Rust.n.Gears
    March 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I do that. We watch things all the time. Mainly National Geographic and the History channel. But they have so much it is hard to list.

Homeschooling Moms