Homeschooling Moms

kirbymom
What is YOUR Advice for other Home Schoolers?
March 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM

What do YOU do when you come to a proverbial "bump" in the road and feel that you can't progress any further?  

What are some things that  you do to drive over that "bump" ?

Replies

• AutymsMommy
    March 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hmmm.

"Don't kill them - it isn't worth it"

• all2gethernow
    March 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

sometimes we take a short break and regroup...sometimes we just attack:) Depends on the situation and energy levels of everyone involved:)

• kirbymom
    March 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

lol >> Sounds like me. :)  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hmmm.

"Don't kill them - it isn't worth it"

• AutymsMommy
    March 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

2. Bake brownies - chocolate cures everything.

3. Don't close your eyes while you're arguing with your homeschooled preteen - you will have visions of yellow school buses coming to take them away... and you'll like it... and you'll start researching schools...

• No_Difference
    March 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Day dream about the day they turn 12 and can go to military school...

On a more non fantasy note:
    We talk about what is causing the "bump" and work out ways that we can get around it together. If those fail, we usually drop it, and pick up something else, and then try again at a later point in time.

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 20, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'm a problem solver. So, I step back and think about what isn't working and try to find a different approach.

A break is always good, too!

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

hahahahahahahahahahah

Quoting AutymsMommy:

3. Don't close your eyes while you're arguing with your homeschooled preteen - you will have visions of yellow school buses coming to take them away... and you'll like it... and you'll start researching schools...

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 20, 2013 at 4:26 PM

we take a break and grab our packs and go on a nature hike, next day talk about whats not working or whats wrong , pray!

• SusanTheWriter
    March 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM

According to a police officer I talked to once, it's only illegal to duct tape them to the ceiling if the cops find out. :)

Honestly, I try to take a step back to assess the problem. Is it just because they're tired? Then rest or switch over to something that uses a different thinking process. Tackle it again the next day. Is it because the method or teaching style isn't meshing? Brainstorm new approaches. My kids are old enough that they can be included in these discussions. Involving them helps them engage with the solution, and also teaches them how to problem solve for themselves.

• kirbymom
    March 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Your killing me! LOL  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Homeschooling Moms