Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Pukalani79
Why people put up with stuff like this amazes me (Update/apology in red)
March 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM

There's a lady from my town who posted about how her daughter was hit with a jumprope several times during PE today and then was stabbed with a pencil hard enough to require a bandaid.  Apparently when the teacher was told, they blew it off. So she's trying to get a hold of the teacher and the principal and can reach neither and people are encouraging her to make she makes an issue of it.  She wanted to know if anyone else had trouble with bullying.  That's part of the reason I and another mom in the group homeschool and we said as much, without telling her that's what she needed to do.  She writes

" we have had this bullying problem all year... Most of the time I find it's because my daughter said something to start it and the kid retaliated. I know my kid isn't an angel but this time she said she didn't do anything to start it. Not that she would be in trouble if she did. We don't have any other option but public school so I hope this is addressed quickly in a professional manner. It also does upset me that they didn't contact me. BUT... it's not the first time. We had a similar issue last week and they said, "oh, did you want to be put on the list so we can contact you when this happens?!" UH - YES!!!! I understand teachers are so busy and they have a hard job dealing with all those kids, I know I couldn't do it, and I was homeschooled and it was a horrible experience, so I want my kids to understand how to handle social/peer pressure, which is essential to emotional development, but I think this is a little too far."

I'm not judging.  To each her own.  Homeschooling is not for everyone, I get that. But why on earth would you put up with stuff like that? 

Bullying is a very sensitive topic for me and I have probably overreacted.  I know that homeschooling is not for everyone and is not best for everyone.  I never meant to imply otherwise and I apologize if I did.  I just feel terrible for the child who is having to go through this.

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    March 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM
    I feel people put up with stuff like that because they don't think they have any other option.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 18, 2013 at 7:41 PM

They can't think "out of the box."

• No_Difference
    March 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My daughter was repeatedely poked in the EYE with a pencil and no one EVER told me. The finally called when the brat they always had her next to cut he hair during library BUT they did not call me, and they tried calling my hubby who was at work (and can't answer his phone and isn't allowed to put down his work phone for contact purposes which is why I was emergency contact #1). They called my in -laws (emergency contact #3 if they couldn't reach hubby on his phone so they could call him at work). I got screamed at for not handeling the situation when he got home, but knew nothing of it. Thats when we found out how much lying the staff was doing to US and we also learned about the staff bullying our daughter! Needless to say, she never went back. 

In her case though - I'd be looking into the possibility of a school transfer if she would prefer not to homeschool...

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 18, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    It looks like she doesn't want to homeschool because she was & hated it more then she can't do it. I don't get people that continue to send their children there after things like that regardless of their personal experience.
  • Pukalani79
    March 18, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I asked her about her experience a couple of months ago because she was going on about how she would never homeschool.  She told me it really wasn't that bad.  The only bad part was that her mom didn't drive, so they never went anywhere.  The only friends she had was from church.  But then she'll go on about how homeschooling ruined her life.  Sad, really.

Quoting usmom3:

It looks like she doesn't want to homeschool because she was & hated it more then she can't do it. I don't get people that continue to send their children there after things like that regardless of their personal experience.

• Pukalani79
    March 18, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I mentioned that to her.  I know that our districts have an open enrollment policy.   I think the deadline for applications is April 1st.  Something like that. We'll see.  I just hope that she's able to get her daughter into a safe enviornment.  No child should have to worry about being hit or stabbed at school.

Quoting No_Difference:

In her case though - I'd be looking into the possibility of a school transfer if she would prefer not to homeschool...

• Pukalani79
    March 18, 2013 at 9:07 PM

She said it would be too much of a nightmare.  That her daughter has to have a close eye kept on her and that they have no way of getting her to and from a new school. I understand that that can be difficult. I understand that tranportation can be a nightmare. I just dont understand why you'd send a child back to a place she constantly is getting hurt.  I'm trying so hard to be supportive, but...

Quoting No_Difference:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    She sounds like someone that likes to complain but really doesn't care to fix her problems because if she did she would take action.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I asked her about her experience a couple of months ago because she was going on about how she would never homeschool.  She told me it really wasn't that bad.  The only bad part was that her mom didn't drive, so they never went anywhere.  The only friends she had was from church.  But then she'll go on about how homeschooling ruined her life.  Sad, really.

Quoting usmom3:

• MrsImperfect
    March 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    Depends. Not everyone can handle it. We homeschooled for the first time this year. The teachers are politely telling me never to do it again cause my kids are more successful in regular school. Having one kid struggling and having touettes and autism another which a speech problem that affects reading and a wild 2 yr old I def got in over my head. BUT he were moving to another school district. We were buying a house. Took longer than expected to close and didnt get the kids in before the beginning of the school year. Tranfering wasnt possible cause I had no car and there was no room on the bus and school is 3 miles away. I wasnt putting them back in their old school cause they did nothing about my sons constant bullying. So there are reasons. Just saying. I will never home school again. I cant handle it.
  • AutymsMommy
    March 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

It doesn't sound like she's putting up with it - it sounds like she's going through appropriate channels to figure out how to solve it.

I'm not one to believe a child should be pulled from an otherwise working educational environment if the issues there can be solved (whether that be public, private, or home school). JMO.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts