Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
6Fish
Common Core and Your Homeschool Curriculum (PIOG)
by 6Fish
March 16, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to share this website with you. It was created by a homeschooling mom just this past week. She already has over 1100 likes on FB! She is researching all curriculum publishers in order to determine whether or not the publisher will be making changes in order to align with the Common Core Standards. If you are unfamiliar with the CCS, she also has many links to resources for further information.

http://www.theeducationalfreedomcoalition.org/

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    March 16, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Thanks for posting this! I'm hoping Abeka stays away from ccs.
  • kirbymom
    March 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM

In my humble opinion, most common core standards do not facilitate a better education. 

• 6Fish
    by 6Fish
    March 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I completely agree. I found the site that I posted to be extremely valuable, and that's why I wanted to share.  But, I didn't want to share my opinion of the CCS, because I didn't want to cause a debate! LOL

Quoting kirbymom:

In my humble opinion, most common core standards do not facilitate a better education. 

• kirbymom
    March 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

lol > Oh don't worry about a debate. We survive them all the time. :)  Some agree and some don't agree, with how things are and how things should be done. What makes this group one of the best ones on CafeMom is the fact that we can "debate" and still enjoy each other's posts.  We all know that at some point we can agree to dis-agree. :)  I don't think I have ever seen more than a very few "fighting debates" in here.  We love to share our thoughts just so that we can see what others think and maybe learn a thing or two from each other. :)  

Quoting 6Fish:

I completely agree. I found the site that I posted to be extremely valuable, and that's why I wanted to share.  But, I didn't want to share my opinion of the CCS, because I didn't want to cause a debate! LOL

Quoting kirbymom:

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM

The Home School Legal Defense Association writes this:

Will the CCSS Affect Homeschools?

The CCSS specifically do not apply to private or homeschools, unless they receive government dollars (online charter school programs have no such protection). However, HSLDA has serious concerns with the rush to adopt the CCSS. HSLDA has fought national education standards for the past two decades. Why? National standards lead to national curriculum and national tests, and subsequent pressure on homeschool students to be taught from the same curricula.

The College Board—the entity that created the PSAT and SAT—has already indicated that its signature college entrance exam will be aligned with the CCSS. And many homeschoolers worry that colleges and universities may look askance at homeschool graduates who apply for admission if their highschool transcripts are not aligned with the CCSS.

HSLDA believes that a one-size-fits-all approach to education crowds out other educational options, including the freedom of parents to choose homeschools and private schools. A common curriculum and tests based off common standards could be very harmful to homeschoolers if their college of choice refuses to accept a student’s high school transcript if it is not based on the CCSS. Homeschoolers could also have trouble on the SAT if the test is fundamentally altered to reflect only one specific curriculum. And our greatest worry is that if the CCSS is fully adopted by all states, policy makers down the road will attempt to change state legislation to require all students—including homeschool and private school students—to be taught and tested according to the CCSS.  

Read more Here:  http://www.hslda.org/docs/news/2012/201212170.asp 

• AutymsMommy
    March 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I'm not a fan of common core, personally.

I know that doesn't add much to the conversation at hand; just throwing it out there, lol.

• Bluecalm
    March 16, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    I don't like Common Core. Kindergarten here is totally CC and he's basically learning a first grade curriculum - it is very similar to the 1st grade program on Time4Learning.

In 4th, the grade I teach, we are transitioning into CC. My students have to write 3 paragraph compositions based on 2 passages and cite text evidence. That's just one example. It's good and bad. It's amazing to watch their intellectual growth, but heartbreaking to see kids struggle who just aren't developmentally ready.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    March 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

What concerns me is that control of our children's  education is moving further and further away from the parents. 

We use to have the best education in the world, and people came here to be educated.  That is when the parents and teachers decided the curriculum and what was in the best interest of the individual child....heck, even school lunches were fabulous then (local moms prepared it).  As it moved away from parental control to States, the one size fits all approach began destroying the quality of the education and the food.  As a tutor, I hear many of the very  active children complain about being hungry at school...the one size fits all lunch menu does not  work for all children, and the taste is terrible.  They are given one 30 minute recess per day with the focus on studying for the mandated tests. Lack of play time is torture for very active children.

Now the control of the education is deteriorating more as it has moved from state control to the federal government, and the United Nations.  These men do not even know the individual children, and most never taught a classroom .

Finland now ranks top in education (a title once held by the U.S.).  The reason?   They are doing just what the U.S. once did. (at least for now) ..(1) "its teachers are trusted to do whatever it takes to turn young lives around. "  .  (2) formal education does not begin until 7 years of age. (3) They have as many play breaks as the teacher feels is needed, and play (even outdoor play activity) is incorporated in the learning...game based teaching is a big part of what they do.  

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Why-Are-Finlands-Schools-Successful.html#ixzz2NkRx8d5B
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    March 17, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Andrew Pudewa of Excellence in Writing wrote the following:

Why standards—whoever creates them—will never work in today’s schools (with one exception):

Once upon a time, being in Fifth Grade meant something. It meant that you had acquired the knowledge and skills to be learned in Fourth Grade. If you didn’t “pass” Fourth Grade you would continue to study and practice until you did. That was a "standard"—something which must be attained; common sense dictated that it wouldn’t be wise to go on to Fifth Grade without achieving the Fourth Grade standard.

Then, with the demise of the one-room schoolhouse and the expansion of the central school and grade-segregated classrooms, the end of real standards began. Thus, to not pass Fourth Grade meant to be “held back,” separated from your peer group, stigmatized, and thought stupid. And the psychologists who ruled modern education quickly deemed that it would be better for students to go on to the next grade—without the knowledge and skills that would enable them to succeed—than to suffer the psychological trauma of being held back. With this thinking, students would be moved up in grade whether or not they had met the standard of the previous grade. Thus, the standard became meaningless.

As this practice became entrenched in the schools, the whole concept of “grade level” gradually came to mean nothing but “approximate age.” Students advanced to the next grade level not by mastering specific knowledge and skills but merely by merit of being a year older. This, of course, caused a decline in competency and ultimately resulted in functionally illiterate high school graduates with diplomas—something that never would have been possible under the previously honest system of grades and standards. (By the way, if you’ve never seen an Eighth Grade exam from a hundred years ago, you must! Could you pass this test? http://www.bullittcountyhistory.com/bchistory/schoolexam1912.html)

Predictably, this decline in competency resulted in a clamor for … guess what? Revised standards! Schools, districts, and states formed committees of experts to decide what all fourth grade students should be able to do in reading and writing and arithmetic, and commanded the teachers to see to it that no child would fail to meet these universal standards. But the “grade is determined by age and not ability” system precluded success. No person, committee, or government can dictate that every ten-year-old child be able to read or write or calculate at a certain level any more than they can dictate that every ten-year-old be a certain height, have a specific eye color, or enjoy eating carrots. Children are different and learn at different speeds just like they grow at different speeds.

Consequently, the schools failed to ensure that all students met the standards, and so the standards had to be rewritten (a bit lower). Again the schools failed, and the standards were lowered. Then, after a couple decades, some brilliant observers noted that student abilities had declined—probably because of low standards. Ha! So the standards were revised again (a bit higher), but the inevitable continued. Some—or many—students will not meet the standards, but what can be done if grade is still determined by age and not ability? It’s a deeply dysfunctional system and will continue to be a self-perpetuating downward spiral because it is based on a fundamentally flawed idea—that age and ability must be connected.

There is really only one way to significantly improve institutional education, and that would be to eliminate grade levels, which could probably only happen with a return to mixed-age classrooms and standards that really mean something. Very few people would be willing to try this, but there is one team of innovative educators in Alaska who have done just that—in a public school district! They have actually eliminated grade levels and restored standards—ten achievement levels in each of nine content areas. Students only progress to the next level when they demonstrate proficiency at their current level. This is not only good common sense, the Chugach School District is getting superb results and is beginning to teach other schools and districts how to implement areal standards-based assessment model. Details about their system can be found here: http://mail.chugachschools.com/standards_based_system/relevant_standards/index.html

No amount of verbiage, government pressure, teacher training, extra funding, or good intentions will make the new Common Core standards any more effective than any other “standards” effort. While there may be many well-intentioned people working on this idea, it’s fundamentally flawed. Again, the only hope for improved student learning is to eliminate the idea of grade levels as we know it, acknowledge that students learn at different speeds, decentralize schools, encourage mixed-age classrooms—even “cottage” or neighborhood schools—and put some teeth in the meaning of the word “standards.”

IEW's approach has always focused on helping each child achieve personal excellence, rather than trying to make children fit into categories along with others of similar age. Even when used within a single-grade classroom, this personalized approach is at the heart of IEW's success. So while we will continue to assist schoolteachers who wish to make use of our materials in their classrooms, we have not altered our method to meet Common Core or other standards. As educational fads come and go, a time-tested approach based on careful modeling, incremental growth, and personalized learning will continue to nurture students' minds. We plan to continue our efforts to encourage excellence in writing and inspire our students to think, so that, perhaps, they will change the world.

• snazzylady1
    March 17, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Personally, I think Common Core will be just another phase in the field of education.  As an educator I have seen so many changes in education and this is another one.  Just wait and it will change again.  The majority of these standards are developed by individuals who have never taught anything and they feel that they can come and change education.  I think teaching the basics with traditional assesments is effective. That is exactly how the generations learned and they turned out just fine maybe even better.  Education starts at home.  The best part about the ability to homeschool is that you have more freedom than public schools in terms of the constant testing and standards that will be gone in a year or two.  

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN