Homeschooling Moms

mommyofnoah208
Virtual academies
March 14, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I know they aren't really homeschool..but wanted to see if anyone is enrolled in any. I am most likely doing one of the virtual academies...maybe the washington state one through k12,

How do you like it?

Replies

• katinahat
    March 15, 2013 at 1:24 AM

We'll be using Laurel Springs School when we start my daughter's formal schooling in a few years :) I used Laurel Springs in 8th grade and absolutely loved it, so I plan on doing the same for my daughter. It moved at my pace, my instructors were very educated about the subjects, yet it had the flexibility of homeschooling-- I could wake up late one day or just take a day off if I needed to. 

• QueenCreole313
    March 15, 2013 at 6:27 AM
    We use Time4Learning. We love it. The lessons can be done in any order. It helps me so much with planning. My son loves it too. It's not all we use but it's a big help!
  • leighp1
    by leighp1
    March 15, 2013 at 6:31 AM

We used Connections Academy. It was okay. It taught my daughter and they were great, but I didn't like the idea that we had to take attendance and state mandated tests.  That being said, next year my daughter wants to take a few classes through our Florida Virtual School (photography, web design or something like that, and Algebra).  It is supposed to be different for the middle schoolers.

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

mommyofnoah208, I do not live in Washington. So I went looking for reviews on Washington's K12, and found the following: 

1.  Washington State K 12 Environmental And Sustainability standards. which is also known as the United Nations Agenda 21

2.  Parents speak out about K12 online virtual schools

3.  Government Subsadized K12 Programs...Will Home Educators Dodge This Bullet?

If you do not want that for your children,  and  are looking for "School in a Box", there are several that are not government subsidized (they do have a fee though). Among them are Sonlight, Bob Jones University,  Abeka, Alpha Omega, Alpha Omega Publications, and Christian Liberty Academy.  

If it is cost that concerns you, home school can be very inexpensive. 

How to create your own lesson plans 

Lesson Plans That  Motivate (When you home school, the whole world becomes your classroom)

• lifesadream83
    March 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    I have not heard anything good about the K12 virtual academies. We purchased their curriculum for independent study our first year homeschooling. For us it was a flop. I think it's a great option when you are just getting started especially because they are free BUT don't expect the teacher to teach otherwise you will be frustrated you do the teaching. Also Don't do the optional lessons you will just frustrate yourself! I suggest you enroll with an open mind. During the year decide what you like and what you don't and adjust from there. No matter what you do the first year is always the hardest
  • mommyofnoah208
    March 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM
    Thanks. Yes I am prepared to do all the teaching and supplementing. I think the main reason is that we want a little accountability and the idea of knowing that it is state standards and get us started.

Quoting lifesadream83:

I have not heard anything good about the K12 virtual academies. We purchased their curriculum for independent study our first year homeschooling. For us it was a flop. I think it's a great option when you are just getting started especially because they are free BUT don't expect the teacher to teach otherwise you will be frustrated you do the teaching. Also Don't do the optional lessons you will just frustrate yourself! I suggest you enroll with an open mind. During the year decide what you like and what you don't and adjust from there. No matter what you do the first year is always the hardest
  • bluerooffarm
    March 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

We hated the k12 school rules and left mid-year.  I knew I wanted to be the teacher, but it was all the extra hoops, etc that made us crazy.  Accountability is great and all, but if you think you know what is best for your child, you may end up knocking heads like we did with the administration.  I'm in Pennsylvania, so it is an entirely different setup, so good luck with whatever you decide.... just remember there are plenty of good, inexpensive boxed curriculums out there that can give you state standards and accountability without the beauracracy.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We ony ever used Time4Learning.

• kirbymom
    March 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I have never heard of that, that sounds refreshing!  

Quoting katinahat:

We'll be using Laurel Springs School when we start my daughter's formal schooling in a few years :) I used Laurel Springs in 8th grade and absolutely loved it, so I plan on doing the same for my daughter. It moved at my pace, my instructors were very educated about the subjects, yet it had the flexibility of homeschooling-- I could wake up late one day or just take a day off if I needed to. 

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I don't use it but here's a bump! many women in this group use/ have used it!

Homeschooling Moms