Homeschooling Moms

lifesadream83
What are your thoughts?
March 14, 2013 at 5:48 AM

So I have seen someone else recently post about whether we thought they would regret removing their spines and putting things in binders.  I like the idea most of my stuff is already in binders.  SO I pose this question to you now.

I have an 8 year old and a 3 month old and lord knows how many future tikes!  (no more than 2-3 more)  I am contemplating making my life easier for next year.  

My thoughs are to create, most likely, 2-4 1.5-2 inch binders of instructor guide and one 2 inch student pages.  If I decide to do this I would do it every year so that all I have to do is pull out the curriculum for subsequent children and go.  Basically creating my own open and go guides.  I have been making a schedule this year that I love simlar to that of SL but it contains ALL of our subjects & Activities.  Page 1 & Page 2

Then I would line up the schedule and all of our curriculm for that week after the tab 36 tabs.  This is basically what sonlight does but we are secular homeschoolers so mine would contain all of the SL history but our secular materials for everything else.  

Our Math and Spelling would stay separate as we use MIF and AAS.  However everything else could be put into the binder and ready to go in advance! 

Thoughts?

Replies

• Silverkitty
    March 14, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It's not a bad idea if you can do it.  My children are 9 years apart so many things I use for my DD will be out dated or not the right style for my DS.  I'm almost done making the yearly schedule for each subject, then it's to the weekly and then daily.  After which my DD will completely change, but at least I know where we are headed.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM

hahah sounds like something i would do! i like having my instruction stuff at my side in a binder or a file! and any worksheets or workbooks in binders so i can just grab and copy or whatever i want to do! ive done it for years! to me its a great idea of yours!

as the kids got older i stopped doing it, for math and english, i use textbooks for those subjects but for my unit studies i still do it! along with my lesson plans

• BramblePatch
    March 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    My kids are 11 months apart but essentially two grades apart. I remove bindings on workbooks and have them comb bound for ease of use. I also copy any book that says its ok to reproduce and reuse within the family so DD may use it after DS.
  • HarrisonMD
    March 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I like the idea too! I plan on doing something similiar with a few workbooks and pages I have picked up over the past few months. I was having a hard time getting "started" on stuff! lol...I want this to be more child-led learning, but I also know that if I have a "study guide or curriculum" in place it will help both me and DH as we teach the kids...woohoo! I have been gathering so much material so that I can put together our own curriculum, I was getting overwhelmed! lol

• coala
    by coala
    March 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I think your idea sounds great.  Just remeber that the LO may not have the same learning style as their sibling.

I pulled ALL workbooks hole punched them and put them into 1 inch binders.  My materials are in a book and in a binder for grades.  I am thinking about copying the workbooks for my 2nd grader and printing for the one that is coming up behind her.  I can't decide if I will spend more in paper and ink than I will printing for an entire school year.....in color.

• bluerooffarm
    March 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

IMO, it may be helpful and it may not.  Rmember you may go through all that just to find that your LO has a completely different learning style than older sibling.  I already know that my middle boy is more visual than 1st born and youngest is kinesthetic.  They need vvery different things.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM

If you do decide to do it be flexible because your curriculum might not work with all your children.

• lifesadream83
    March 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Everyone tells me that not all curriculum works for all kids and I totally believe it!  It took me the better part of a school year to find what works for dd8.  Most of what I have now is for/can be adapted to multiple learning styles.  So I am hoping it won't be a total disaster!  Thanks for the support ladies!

• lifesadream83
    March 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    Ok I set up my binders last night! So excited :)
  • kirbymom
    March 15, 2013 at 2:40 PM

You what I think? I think that if it works for you and it makes your life easier and you want/can do it, then go for it.  :)  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts