Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
SusanTheWriter
Old Earth, Young Minds: Evengelical Homeschoolers Embrace Evolution
March 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

An article I found that talks about science education for Christians who are not proponents of a "young earth."

homeschool-top.jpg Jen Baird Seurkamp, a Kentucky evangelical who homeschools her children, avoids textbooks that discredit evolution. (Kate Mitchell Hisey)

For homeschooling parents who want to teach their children that the earth is only a few thousand years old, the theory of evolution is a lie, and dinosaurs coexisted with humans, there is no shortage of materials. Kids can start with the Answers in Genesis curriculum, which features books such as Dinosaurs of Eden, written by Creation Museum founder Ken Ham. As the publisher's description states, "This exciting book for the entire family uses the Bible as a 'time machine' to journey through the events of the past and future."

It's no secret that the majority of homeschooled children in America belong to evangelical Christian families. What's less known is that a growing number of their parents are dismayed by these textbooks.

Take Erinn Cameron Warton, an evangelical Christian who homeschools her children. Warton, a scientist, says she was horrified when she opened a homeschool science textbook and found a picture of Adam and Eve putting a saddle on a dinosaur. "I nearly choked," says the mother of three.

For the rest of the article CLICK HERE.

Replies

• Precious333
    March 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    I have heard both sides of the agrument, both in.person, through books, articles and documentaries/debates. So far i am not convinced in old earth creationism.
  • bren_darlene
    March 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I believe scripture. It is the only way that makes sense. 

• .Lovemythree.
    March 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Thanks for posting! It is very hard to find a homeschool science curriculum that isn't literal bible creationism
  • bluerooffarm
    March 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I love that article.  Having grown up in a United Methodist church and married a Lutheran where both of us were taught that the Earth was old, I have been flummoxed in my adulthood to find people who were taught differently in the Christian Faith.  I have rejected many of the science curricula and have opted to create my own because they literally discredit the evolutionary model.  Good to know I may have more options in the future!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    I find it annoying that the article states the majority of homeschoolers are evangelical. Not true any more.
  • AutymsMommy
    March 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Ditto another poster who said I'm glad - it's difficult to find old earth homeschool friendly science texts. We're Catholic and theistic evolutionists - we prefer either a theistic old earth view or secular science. We've almost run out of Ellen McHenry materials and the public school secular texts are very difficult to make "homeschool friendly" in terms of labs.

I'm almost forced to use textbooks that I disagree with, simply because I have few (if any) other options.

I hope this means there will be more in the way of old earth homeschool science coming to the market!

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I like the idea of having textbooks that support either idea but I do not like it  when they refer to either one as fact.  They are both theories and neither one can be proven.  I personally believe intelligent design to have more evidence.  I think textbooks should just present the info and then let the reader make up their own mind based on the facts presented.  I use both kinds of textbooks.  My kids know how to think critically of what they are reading.  I also have taught them not believe everything they read.  Is it really necessary to say millions of years virtually every section of text?  At the same time I don't need a bible text in every science book just as often.  

• gratefulgal
    March 10, 2013 at 3:41 PM

OKay, so I might come across as a bit naive here, BUT: is there anyway that there could be an old earth creationism WITHOUT evolution? Say "dinosaurs were millions of years ago" but that humans came later, but NOt as cavemen, but as just regular people? Is that totally unbelievable or what? I'm not trying to talk trash, but I really don't know what the traditional Christian belief is nowadays. I've been asking this question for years. One that does not include evolution but that IS scientifically sound. I mean evolution is a theory, not a fact, and should be presented as a "side" of the argument, not the only way. Kinda seems like Christians are selling out on the evolution debate. Any ideas or knowledge about this? Again, NOT trying to offend, just genuinely curious. Thanks!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I'm not sure what other Christians teach but I teach on the premise that the Earth was created over eons with the Big Bang as God starting it. I don't teach that it was a literal 6 days. I have explained to my kids that since the Bible has been touched by man it is flawed, but true. I know that many people don't agree with that but we do have records of Popes and Kings playing with the Books and also it was passed from person to person so that we have a fairly accurate but not perfect Bible.

Quoting gratefulgal:

OKay, so I might come across as a bit naive here, BUT: is there anyway that there could be an old earth creationism WITHOUT evolution? Say "dinosaurs were millions of years ago" but that humans came later, but NOt as cavemen, but as just regular people? Is that totally unbelievable or what? I'm not trying to talk trash, but I really don't know what the traditional Christian belief is nowadays. I've been asking this question for years. One that does not include evolution but that IS scientifically sound. I mean evolution is a theory, not a fact, and should be presented as a "side" of the argument, not the only way. Kinda seems like Christians are selling out on the evolution debate. Any ideas or knowledge about this? Again, NOT trying to offend, just genuinely curious. Thanks!

• AutymsMommy
    March 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Christians aren't "selling out". A priest proposed the big bang theory! For as long as *I* can remember, Catholics have been theistic evolutionists. We do "believe" in evolution - we just believe it was set in motion by God.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts