Homeschooling Moms

Kerriebear007
New to homeschooling. Little help please.
March 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Friday was my ds last day. I had, had enough with the school. He wasn't progressing. Monday I'm meeting with the process cordanator and principal to sign paperwork. My question is he does have an iep. They want me to keep him in the special services ie speech. Do I have to do that? I live in Missouri.

Replies

• BramblePatch
    March 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    You can find your laws at www.hslda.org. I do not think, though, they can force him to stay in services....at least not here in Idaho.
  • AutymsMommy
    March 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I don't *think* they can MAKE you, but I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want him to receive the service (unless he isn't progressing).

If they push it, you can always just show proof that you are obtaining speech therapies elsewhere, privately.

• Kerriebear007
    March 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    He will be receiving private services

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't *think* they can MAKE you, but I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want him to receive the service (unless he isn't progressing).

If they push it, you can always just show proof that you are obtaining speech therapies elsewhere, privately.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 9, 2013 at 10:38 PM
    They can not force you to use any of their services, you need to read the homeschool laws for your state & find a homeschool group in your state that can help you understand the laws if you find them confusing.
  • romacox
    by romacox
    March 10, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Following is an article by one of your State Home School Associations concerning Missouri State Laws:  Families For Home Education (They also have a link for "The Letter Of Intent)

They have regional directors you can call for further assistance.  Find Your Regional Director

Christian Educators Fellowship in Missouri has a list of support groups here.  (great for mentor-ship and for co-ops.

• Kerriebear007
    April 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    I lied, I just took him out of school and made him stay in his room all day and night... so I can b alone to play on the phone and talk to guys while my dh is at work lol
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

is this a joke?

Quoting Kerriebear007:

I lied, I just took him out of school and made him stay in his room all day and night... so I can b alone to play on the phone and talk to guys while my dh is at work lol

• KrissyKC
    April 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM

No you do not.

However, be prepared to follow the laws keeping your daily logs and your portfolio examples and such.   Because if the school disagrees with you, I'm pretty sure they will want to follow up.   ((I've been homeschooling in Missouri for three years and they've never once checked my logs))

The IEP is a plan put in place by the school he was enrolled in.   If you give notice of your intent to home school and withdraw him from the school, then, you do not HAVE to do anything with the school.

All we have to do in Missouri is send the intent to homeschool (or to continue) every year... keep a daily log showing 1000 hours instruction (600 of those core subjects) and keeping a portfolio of the kids' work and activities (not all, just samples)..

A good group to check out and get involved in is the FHE (families for Home Education)...  

I am in St. Louis now, but was in KC.   I've been enjoying HSing here.   I hate keeping daily logs, but the logs don't have to be detailed, it just has to say you did X amount of time at the core subjects and X amount of time at non-core class time.   There is something else in there about the amount of time schooling at the child's primary location... but I honestly never paid much attention to that because we DO HS at home a lot.

• Kerriebear007
    April 23, 2013 at 10:58 PM
    No joke, welcome to the true me

Quoting oredeb:

is this a joke?

Quoting Kerriebear007:

• CaitsCookies
    April 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    I think that they are REQUIRED by law to offer to continue with those services. That is the case here in TX. The school here has offered to assist in any way I deem necessary with my stepson's education. They seem to be happy to have one less special needs child to spend extra time on.

Homeschooling Moms