Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
How do you prevent burnout?
March 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM
How do you know when you and/or your children need a break from lessons? Do you schedule breaks/days off?

Replies

• starbeck96
    March 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM

We school for 4-5 weeks and then take a week off.  We also took off 3 weeks for christmas.

• RockEducation
    March 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I make up our yearly schedule with the intent that we take off one week every four weeks of school, except for the month of May (last month of our school year-we go to the last Friday). Starting next year, we are beginning earlier (last Monday in July) as there are more units in Singapore math and DD will be in 5th grade, so we need to buckle down more. We take off for late summer, fall, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas (2 weeks DH's b'day falls here), DD's birthday in January, my birthday in Feb., spring break, and Easter or mid spring. That adds up to 10 weeks vacation over the 10 months of school. It works out to be around 170 days total and our mandatory is 148. If DD ever needs more school days, then we would eliminate some of the vacation. As of right now, that isn't the case, so we continue to enjoy our monthly week off. Once DD is in high school, we will possibly go to 180 days. I just received her test results from the yearly testing and she is doing great (98, 94,94 NPR for math, reading, lang. arts/written expressions), so the 150 days we are doing this year is fine.

I need a break just as much as she does. LOL I'm a worrier/planner type, so I really need that week every month to regroup. I think everyone has their own way of doing their planning and that's cool. If something happens to come up, and we need the day off, we just push math, language arts, and reading to the next day of school. Homeschooling can be so flexible when it needs to be.

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM
    I can tell usually when the kids start fighting with each other and me.
  • jen2150
    by jen2150
    March 9, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Simple.  They tell me.  I know my children and when they need a break.  I have taught them not to complain but to just tell me when they want to do something different.  I make all our learning fun and change it up so it is never the same.  If they ask to spend the day playing games and reading books then that is what we will do.  Learning can happen in a variety of ways.  I know if there is no motivation learning has stopped and all benefit has disappeared.

• HSmom25years
    March 9, 2013 at 11:30 PM

When the day is not going right, it is time to take a break!  Some of our favorite days were when we stopped regular school and had cooking class (science lab or math lab), or go to the park (PE), play a board game (social skills) or watch the history channel or an old classic movie (We called that a "classical" education.)  This is a serious calling to educate your kids but you must have a light heart while you are doing it or it won't work.  Take the break!  Tickle your kids and bake cookies.  (Take the cookies to an elderly neighbor and call it social studies, studying how good you all will feel, including the neighbor.)  

• KickButtMama
    March 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We don't pre schedule days off. I leave it to when we all need a break. We school year round, so we have plenty of flexibility. Bt since we focus on how the kids Like to learn, there are rarely battles on it. I make sure to have Me time - I sit outside when everyone is in bed and I read, no matter the weather or how messy the house may be. It keeps me sane.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 11, 2013 at 9:52 AM

no schedule of breaks, i can tell when the kids need to stop and do something else, figetty, whiny, no one can settle down, or just to nice a day to stay inside, excited,

• blueyedbaker
    March 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

No schedule, I can tell when we all need a break. If I scheduled a break we'd end up changing it anyway. The only thing we do follow sometimes is the vacations of the PS. My girls friends come over when they have a 3 day weekend so then I'll let them have off. We'll take a day of here and there when we need to reorganize the class room or if we have a dentist appointment something like that.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN