Homeschooling Moms

Jortess
Portfolio's? (PIOG)
by Jortess
March 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM

What exactly should be in ones portfolio for end of the year evaluations?

Before moving to FL, the kids were to be tested at the end of the year per my state law.

FL you turn in a portfolio, so what do I include in a 9th graders and a 5th grader whom has special needs?

Replies

• Pukalani79
    March 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

We don't have to keep portfolios but here's a bump

• No_Difference
    March 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I usually show worst and best work. For instance, if my daughter has struggled with a concept, I'll show what she started at, and then a similar assignment where she has clearly approved. I make her write the date on all the assignments so it's noted that it is a progression and not just done later that day...
    Here's some other guidelines I've found useful from Time 4 Learning (which I don't use):

How do I choose what to include in my portfolio?

Homeschool portfolios are intended to showcase educational progress. Because requirements differ from state to state, the contents will be unique for every student. It is up to parents to learn the laws and choose work samples that best illustrate what their children have learned.

Some common elements of a student homeschool portfolio include:

• Table of contents outlining the homeschool portfolio
    • Learning objectives or subject summaries
    • Daily, weekly or monthly log of activities
    • List of books, educational videos or other supplements used
    • Brochures, ticket stubs, flyers or other field trip memorabilia
    • Photo album documenting projects, outings and assignments that cannot be represented on paper
    • Lesson samples of the major subjects which show progress after units are completed
    • Writing samples including handwriting booklets, completed essays or other writing projects
    • List of achievements which could include awards, certificates or community service recognition
    • Legal documents required by your state, which could include medical records, letter of intent and/or attendance reports

and this link:
    http://busylilhomemaker.com/homeschool-portfolios/

I have also found on my state's board of ed what the public school is expecting the kids to learn and print out their "guidelines" which they give a chart on what skills are "mastered" and above or under. If any are "missed" it may be because our curriculum hasn't covered it yet or already has which are shown in other portfolios and is noted in the current one (for us this happens most in social studies).

I thinks HSLDA has a link about portfolios somewhere...I can't seem to find it at the moment tho :/.

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 10, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Some Counties in Florida have recently made some changes concerning portfolios.  So it is a good idea to contact your Regional Director for direction How To Find Your Florida Regional Director.

How To Do A Portfolio.

In Florida a certified teacher does the evaluations. Evaluators should be made aware of any IEPs or special needs at the start of any evaluation...be sure to take any documentation you have with you, and check with your Regional Director for updates on County changes.

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    March 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

It depends on your district.  And I would contact the district office.  Here in Okaloosa it seems very relaxed.  I have a teacher that is evaluating my daughter and what we are doing is I am giving her what she started with and what she has ended with.  It is a bit different for my daughter because she doesn't talk to many people, but typically they ask what was your favorite class?  What is your favorite book?  That is about it.  All this is is to see if your child has progressed. I have contacted a few people to see what they required and some were attendance and a book list.  When I contacted my district they said there is no need for attendance or book lists, just something showing they have advanced in their learning. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    March 10, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I also forgot to add, that you can have them take the FCAT if you would like.  You just have to contact the district and let them know.  It is free and they will tell you which school to go to.

Homeschooling Moms