Homeschooling Moms

Jortess
Major Issues- Someone HELP me ASAP please! (PIOG)
by Jortess
March 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

So I have been homeschooling both my children since the beginning of the year. HOWEVER my prior state did not require a online school or a accredited school for my 9th grade son.

We made a move in the middle of the year to GA, they refused to give him his credits for the first semester that he had completed. They also would NOT accept the portfolio that I had of my son's work. They had told me he  needed to be a a accredited program and must start all learning again even though we already did this.

Well, we are now in FL permanently (we just arrived) I have not checked their laws yet, but I am being told I will run into the same problem here as in GA. I do not want my son to have to do everything over, what can I do?

Time4learning was reccomended to me but they only do up to 8th grade. K12 wants the whole tutuion upfront, are there any other programs that I can use that allow monthly payments?

My daughter is 5th grade, GA did testing on her and said she was at a 1st grade math level and a 3rd grade reading level. She has a IEP from her previous school, she is ADD, dyslexic and very learning disabled, so naturally she is going to be behind. I'm not overally concerned about her, I think so far we are doing great with her disabilities, but I am wondering if there is a program that I can use for her that doesn't allow her to be "stuck" in the 5th grade, whereas she needs to be taught at multiple grade levels, again Time4Learning was recommended.

Any info wouyld be great.

Replies

• Jortess
    by Jortess
    March 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

This is the same as NH, evaluation by portfolio. 

So I understand the law properly and reduce alot of stress, all I need to do is send in my letter of intent for both my children and at the end of the year have them evaluated based of their portfolios? FL law has be a tad bit confused.

Also when they evaluate my DD am I going to have a issue bc she is LD, ADD and dyslexic? She will NOT be at grade level (5th) by the end of the year. Both my kids were in PS before this year, so my DD has a valid IEP (Individual education plan) that the PS school put in effect. She has had one since 1st grade. Do I need to do something different with her? Or maybe you know of a group that is designed for homeschooling children with LD?

Quoting romacox:

There are home educators who also have a teaching degree that will (no test is required), evaluate your child based on their Portfolio  in which you save samples of their work 

You can find one of them  by calling one of the Florida Home School groups. It is very easy and painless if you use someone use to doing this for home educators.  Don't just use any teacher. There are also other methods listed. Some private schools allow home educators to enroll their child, but educate them at home. I believe the link explains that method as well. I am not as familiar with that one.  

following are links to the different letters including letter of intent which notifies the State you will be homeschooling, and the evaluation letter sent in by the teacher who evaluates your child's progress.  Downloads

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

One of the reasons I send everyone to their State Home School Association (Florida Parent Educators  Association in your case) is because they provide information so that you can connect with home school groups near you for mentor ship.  By joining one of these groups (usually no fee to join), you can ask for assistance in picking the right evaluator, and they give you all the ends and outs.  This link will help you find a group near you.  Find Your District (click on the area you will be located in, and it will take you to a list of groups near you.)  

You should not need a special evaluator  as long as they are experienced in evaluating homeschoolers (check with your group). But you might want to find a group to co-op with that is a good fit for your family.  That sometimes takes time, and takes trying out different groups

I don't think I gave you the link to the FAQ page.  But at the bottom of that page are several links that will be helpful.

This is a good one:  Sample Letters And Forms gives you actual samples of the various notifications, including the letter of intent.  

Quoting Jortess:

This is the same as NH, evaluation by portfolio. 

So I understand the law properly and reduce alot of stress, all I need to do is send in my letter of intent for both my children and at the end of the year have them evaluated based of their portfolios? FL law has be a tad bit confused.

Also when they evaluate my DD am I going to have a issue bc she is LD, ADD and dyslexic? She will NOT be at grade level (5th) by the end of the year. Both my kids were in PS before this year, so my DD has a valid IEP (Individual education plan) that the PS school put in effect. She has had one since 1st grade. Do I need to do something different with her? Or maybe you know of a group that is designed for homeschooling children with LD?

Quoting romacox:

There are home educators who also have a teaching degree that will (no test is required), evaluate your child based on their Portfolio  in which you save samples of their work 

You can find one of them  by calling one of the Florida Home School groups. It is very easy and painless if you use someone use to doing this for home educators.  Don't just use any teacher. There are also other methods listed. Some private schools allow home educators to enroll their child, but educate them at home. I believe the link explains that method as well. I am not as familiar with that one.  

following are links to the different letters including letter of intent which notifies the State you will be homeschooling, and the evaluation letter sent in by the teacher who evaluates your child's progress.  Downloads

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

P.S. FPEA got a new webmaster about a year ago.  Ever since they have several broken links on their website.  if you run into that problem, and can't find it with the search box, give them a call at (312) 872-6600.  They are most helpful.  

• jewel80
    by jewel80
    March 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    I don't know what it is in fla but here in ga i do georgia cyber academy with my kids, its a k12 school but its a public cyber charter school. Your lessons are planned out for you, all your materials sent to you for free, if youre low income you get a loaner computer plus 10.95 a month internet reimbursement. Your kids also have a teacher to help if you have any trouble, they have to follow ieps, they will pay for speech, ot, anything that a physical public school does! It is a public school they get a diploma, state laws are followed its like the local school but they are home you teach its work at your own pace they can skip ahead grades, ir take longer! Its flexible you can work on weekends holidays if you want they have feild trips in your area once a month, i love the school! Sorry for typos on my phone and my thumb is still numb, had a thorn removed at the er!

Homeschooling Moms