Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
momsarefrugal
Homeschooling a teenager and a preschooler
March 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Hi, My name is Michelle and I am a new member.  I am hoping to get some ideas for homeschooling.  My teenager will be a freshman next year, and my four year old will be starting Kindergarten.  The teenager fights Math on a daily basis, but does great in all other subjects. 

I hope to see some progress but some days are disappointing.  My preschooler loves school, and at this point I am not sure of which Kindergarten curriculum to purchase.   I want to make sure it is a well rounded curriculum.

I have a total of three children, and they are all boys.  Their ages are 14, 4, and 2.  My house is NEVER quiet.

Thanks

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Welcome to the group!

• mem82
    by mem82
    March 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Welcome! How long have you been homeschooling?

• PinkButterfly66
    March 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Get her a tutor for math. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 7, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Because I am a home school workshop leader, I have put together the following  free web page to answer questions like yours.  How To Home School

• maggiemom2000
    March 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

What curriculum are you using for math with your teen? I found it really helped to have my boys use a math curriculum they can do mostly on their own--less power struggles! We are doing Teaching Textbooks right now. I'm thinking of trying ALEKS next year: 

http://www.aleks.com/homeschool

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com

• JocelynsMama1
    March 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I'll be doing kindergarten with my 4 year old as well im not sticking to one curriculum though im going to plan each subject out individually and then find materials or a program that fits that subject....to many of the box curriculums are too simplistic for her and I want her to have fun but be challenged and constantly learning

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

welcome michelle!!! sounds like a fun household!

how bout trying khan academy for math for the freshman??

give the freshman some responsiblity and let him/her teach the younger child something! my kids use to love that! and the older child learns something in the process!

as for as curr for kindergarten, you dont need one, doing lots of hands on stuff, art and crafts, fun stuff, memorizing songs, verses, poems, and if child is ready to learn phonics teach him a few letters using index cards, 'a home start in reading by ruth beechick is a good little booklet to read for that purpose, for science diggning and planning a garden, chasing down bugs, watching the birds build nexts, looking for bugs in the grass, etc! history- talking about where you live, drawing maps of where you live, talking about your family, show them pictures, making collages, tallking about the history of where you live,  handwriting- painting, hammmering nails, outlining letters in the dirt, math- using objects to count, and add and subtract,

• momsarefrugal
    March 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Thanks for the advice on ideas for the future Kindergartener.  He already loves to dig and play in the dirt.  Just being so new at the homeschooling, I feel like people expect you to follow a curriculum. 

I like the idea of taking everyday things and creating a curriculum, I will also try the phonics cards.  I think he will be an early reader.

• momsarefrugal
    March 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It's a he, and I have tried a math tutor.  The problem that I struggle with is he completely shuts down and lets the tutor do the work.  When I ask him to demonstrate what he learns, he has no idea.  I have tried several tutors, and several ways. 

I am searching for a solution that is more hands on, and less reading.  He would get it if in the older grades it was a little more fun.

Thanks for you help.

• kirbymom
    March 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hi Michelle. Welcome to the group!

I have a couple of teenagers and a 4 yr old too.  :)   My house is Never quiet either.  Oh wait a minute. It is too. When they are asleep.  lol  But other than that, they are never quiet.  As for purchasing a curriculum for your kindergartener, you really don't have to. You can just continue to teach as you have been teaching. You can do things like how many beans are in the jar for math and talk about the shape and texture of the beans. You can introduce spelling and english while doing this activity with your 4 yr old and you can also do this with your 2 year old as well.  You can do outside walks as a nature study for science. For social studies you can introduce your family's history and their heritage and fix a meal that pertains where you come from. With learning to read, you can get construction paper and child scissors and help your 4 year old to cut out some of their abc letters and paste them in a scrap book so that they can refer back to it whenever they want to.  This alone will take up enough time in your day to teach just your 4 year old.  They will learn and figure out more things from this all on their own and you can then build on that with more lessons.  

Here is a link that your 14 year old might find helpful.....

http://www.mathscareers.org.uk/14-16.cfm

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN