Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Lola670
NEW to Homeschooling - HELP :-)
by Lola670
March 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

My husband and I are wanting to homeschool our 8th grader and have no idea where to start. What books to use? What company to buy from? Enroll in online courses? What is the best avenue to begin doing this??? Any advice and suggestions are MOST welcome! Thank you!!

Replies

• Annastacialynn
    March 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Have you checked into your state laws? That's the first place to start. I would go to the library and get some books on homeschooling after that. Then do some digging through the other posts in this group (and other homeschool groups) for curriculum suggestions and such. We use Christian Liberty Press. My son is in 1st grade, but we have liked their curriculum so far. (all but science - we are going to try apologia next year for science). I hope this helps some. I'm not very knowledgable about the high grades, since we are in the lower ones right now. :) Good luck! :)

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    March 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

First you need to learn the laws for your state, every state is different FIND LAWS HERE 

Second you need to learn your child's learning style, knowing that will help you in finding curriculum that will work for them not against them FIND TESTS HERE

Third please consider deschooling to help you all adjust to homeschool, it is very different from using the public school & just like any other drastic change you make in life it takes an adjustment to get used to. FIND DESCHOOLING INFO HERE

I hope this helps you!

• RockEducation
    March 7, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Places to purchase curriculum:

Rainbow Resource Center

Teaching Textbooks

Timberdoodle

Amazon (used books)

Essentials In Writing

Royal Fireworks Press

Brave Writer

Thinkwell Math

Khan Academy (online)-free videos for explaining math concepts and I think they have other subjects now as well.

There are tons of resources. You can cruise The Well-Trained Mind Forums or secularhomeschool.com to get insight on what/how to plan out your curriculum.

• romacox
    by romacox
    March 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

As a home school workshop leader, I constructed  the following free  free web page to answer questions like yours.  Pay particular attention to your State laws (link provided), and to dual enrollment toward the bottom of the page.  How To Home School

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    March 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

welcome lola!!! looks like you have all kinds of great advice!! so welcome!!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN