Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommytobooger
Help with books...
March 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I am looking for books for ages 7 - 11
I want the books to be either classic literature, or good moral values. Does anyone have any good book titles?
Thank you!

Replies

• .Lovemythree.
    March 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Boy or girl?
    Have they read the little house books or the Anne of green gables books?
  • mem82
    by mem82
    Little House on the Prairie
  • mem82
    by mem82
    Toad and Frog
  • mem82
    by mem82
    March 7, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    Indian in the Cupboard
  • SusanTheWriter
    March 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen

Chronicles of Narnia

Bulfinch's or Edith Hamilton's Mythology

Jim Kjellgard's Big Red series

But honestly, I don't limit or even guide my children's reading much. I did steer them away from obvious garbage, and I made suggestions which they sometimes took and sometimes didn't, but other than that, I let them have free rein. To me, it was more important that they read widely and followed their interests, than followed some proscribed list of "good books."

• irvinehiker
    March 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

All books by Roald Dahl are appropiate for that age.  My favorite of his is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Also Mr. Poppers Penguins, Pippi longstocking, and The Cricket in Times Square.  All three books by EB White including Stuart Little.  The Phantom Tollbooth is an awesome book for that age however it is like a sixth grade reading level so it would work well as a read aloud.

• debramommyof4
    March 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

The Magic Tree House, Box Car Kids, American Girl books ( though I have not read the new ones only the historical ones), The Phantom Tollbooth, Little House on the Praire series.  Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys.  The last two are probably more for for older kids, the Magic Tree house for younger kids.

• debramommyof4
    March 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I had forgot about this one.  There is also George Washington's Socks. 

Quoting mem82:

Indian in the Cupboard

• tnt-manda
    March 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    My father's dragon, Homer Price..
  • TigerofMu
    March 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

We have a great reading list with our studies, all Newberry Award winners or finalists.  So far we've read The Golden Goblet - Eloise Jarvis McGraw , Aesop's Fables, Classic Myths to Read Aloud - William F. Russell, The Bronze Bow- Elizabeth George Speare, Adam of the Road - Elizabeth Janet Gray , The Door in the Wall - Marguerite De Angeli, The Swiss Family Robinson - Johann D. Wyss, Call It Courage - Armstrong Sperry, Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell (one of my favorites of all time), Misty of Chincoteague - Marguite Henry, Little Pilgrim's Progress - Helen Taylor, Amos Fortune, Free Man - Elizabeth Yates, and we are currently reading Calico Captive by Elizabeth George Speare. 

Next we'll read The Sign of the Beaver, also by Elizabeth George Speare, Johnny Tremaine by Esther Forbes, Tolliver's Secret by Esther Wood Brady, and the Incredible Journey by Sheila Burnford. 

We've been able to find all of these at the library, though some I already had.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN